95 Legacy right rear wheel clicking - continued

Last weekend I got a chance to look at the right rear wheel of my 95 Legacy, as people here suggested, I checked the CV boots, but seems they are not broken. I also took the hub cover off, and the clicking noise is still there, so it's not hug cover's fault either.

I don't have a clue on how to check differential / bearing, do I have to realse the parking brake and turn the wheel, so that I can reproduce the noise?

Another question is: what are the differences between differential noise and bearing noise? My case is that it will come if I was driving on a rough road, and it will disappear if the road condition is good.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Li

One thing to think of also.

I have had a similar problem on a 96 Legacy but it seemed to be related to the tyres. If you have a stone stuck in the grooves of the tyres it will also make a clicking noise that sounds very much like CV noise. Remove the stone and the noise vanishes

Simple solution, but worth a mention....

Regards, Matthew.

Reply to
Matthew Gallen

Reply to
David Keen

Reply to
Sam Li

Thanks. This is an interesting case. I did a test yesterday - ran the car in a small circle, and try to find when the sound happen - but I never heard the noise. Since I did this in a parking lot, I'll check suspension also.

Reply to
Sam Li

Which way were you turning?!? to the right or left; ie. was the wheel/bearing under load, or quite unweighted? IMHO, it also sounds like bearings... Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio