Mysterious Switch

My '99 Outback has a switch on the console that turns on something...but I don't know what. It's the one that has an icon of a window and a wiper. I woke up this morning to a couple inches of snow on my car, and turned that switch on while I took out the trash, etc. Can't tell that anything happened.

...I did look at the manual, but it didn't really tell me what this thing does.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

With the "winter pack" there are;

- rear window heaters

- windshield heater

- side mirror heaters

The side mirror heaters are a driver side door switch and light.

I think the windsheild heater is near the stereo, and the rear heater near the cruise/fog buttons to the left.

The windsheild one is an assist only, you'd need some heat from the engine and the fans going to defrost as well. Or it will make it easier to get up ice with a scraper.

Reply to
Funkadyleik Spynwhanker

John My '06 Legacy has a similarly marked switch, it heats up the area where the wipers park to prevent them from freezing on the screen (or to unfreeze them if they're already frozen). HTH, Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Got that, works great.

That must be the mystery heater.

Those work great too.

Mine is below the seat heater buttons.

I'll have to look closer for the wires in the windshield. Thanks!

Reply to
JohnO

Look for "heating tape" along the bottom of the windshield, where the wipers park.

Reply to
B A R R Y

What the windshield heater does is unfreeze the wipers. If you look at the pattern of the elements, it's right where your wipers park.

Reply to
nobody >