New air filter?

Huh? As I said before, I recall an auto magazine dyno test for a '94 Integra LS. Power barely went up (maybe 1%) starting about 5000 RPM and barely went down (maybe 1%) at 3000 RPM or lower. I recall the one thing about a K&N I noticed was that it didn't muffle the sound of air flowing through the airbox. I "recharged" my filter once, and I was worried about whether I was under/overoiling it. I trust the oiled paper Subaru OEM filters to protect my engine better than any K&N.

I think a K&N may make sense for someone interested in racing, as part of several cumulative mods. However - electronic engine controls just won't take advantage of more airflow short of running at wide open throttle.

For me, the best solution is the one in my '95 Acura Integra GS-R. It uses a larger cylindrical paper element with a two-stage intake runner system. At lower RPMs, the runner restricts air intake to improve low-end power/driveability. At 5500 RPM, it opens up so that the engine can breathe deeper when it needs more air. Another solution is one that Subaru has already thought of, called a "turbocharger".

As for other stuff - the oil companies have no incentive to go out of their way to improve mileage or emissions. They could include fuel stabilizers to increase the shelf-life of their product, but don't because it costs money. Carmakers face punitive action if their CAFE numbers don't meet requirements.

Reply to
y_p_w

Or like subaru they just reclassify their vehicles as "trucks"

Fine for you but I'll stick with the K&N.

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

I've actually heard of some factory tuner jobs that include K&N filters. I'm sure most of the automakers have field tested various aftermarket and decided against using K&N or its equivalents except for these hot rod jobs.

I have no doubt that K&N does improve top end performance and increases noise. Any possible decrease in longevity is likely not that big a deal. However - claims of mileage increases and better peformance through the entire powerband just aren't possible with electronic engine controls. At the lower end, the limitation on air comes from the throttle body opening.

Reply to
y_p_w

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Roger that. And the admission that "it filters better when it's dirty" is telling you it passes harmful stuff at earlier stages, until it loads up enough to *start* filtering. I bet there's a high correlation between gauzey filter owners and atmospheric BOV owners, to!

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

1/4 off the life? Are you for real? Any shortening of engine life if it even is the case is minimal and not noticible for the majority of drivers. The extra pep I got is more than 2 hp or at least the engine has more pep and better mpg (.5-1 mpg average)
Reply to
Jkpoulos7

First - when I first got a K&N for my '89 Integra, I could have sworn it was faster. The sound from the airbox certainly sounded like it was faster. However - nothing short of a comparison dyno test (against a

**new** OEM filter) is adequate. I've seen such test reports, and they tell me the same thing that has been noted by others in this thread. They do NOTHING for low-end performance (and can actually reduce it) and give small improvements at the top-end.

Second - most people getting new parts notice some sort of improvement because they're comparing the performance of a NEW part against that of an OLD one. I'd believe anyone claiming that a brand new K&N will outperform a clogged paper element air filter throughout the powerband.

Reply to
y_p_w