newbie question re: torquing tires

Hi ... I have a rather simple question .... After rotating my tires I was told to re-torque them after about 1000 km. I have never heard of this & am wondering if it can be done properly without jacking up the car. Thanks in advance. (hey, you gotta learn some how :-)

I've never heard the advice to re-torque the lug nuts, but it can't hurt

- if in doubt, or if the manual says to do it, do it. The thing about not having weight on the wheel when tightening only applies at initial torqueing - wouldn't be necessary for re-torquing IMO.

Bill Putney

Yes, it can hurt to re-torque them- unless you have a torque wrench and read the manual to determint the correct pressure. If you re-torque them improperly, you will warp the rotors.

Reply to
Alan

Yes and yes. In fact, you can't really torque the lugnuts with the car raised.

It's not a bad idea to check them after they get out of the clutches of the evil tire guys anyway cus some of them are idiots armed with an impact wrench.

Reply to
Todd H.

Yes, do. I'm not saying make 'em tighter, but be sure they are torqued properly. Use a torque wrench. I have experienced that conical lug nuts (esp. on alloy wheels) will loosen a bit as things settle in after mounting. I check torque after a short drive (around the block), and then again after driving for awhile. I usually do it after a drive into town, and back; about 50 highway miles or so, but 1000Km sounds like as good of a number as any. With a proper torque wrench (I like the "clicker" style), it only takes a minute to check all four wheels; cheap insurance IMO.

Wheel mounting procedure: Jack car to take most of the weight off of the wheel(s). Loosen lugnuts slightly; ~1/4 turn. Jack to lift wheels, remove and do whatever work is intended. Mount wheels, and tighten lugnuts as tight as possible while holding wheel from turning by hand. Lower car to partially weight wheels (just enuf to keep 'em from turning), and torque lugnuts to spec. Lower completely, and remove jack. Check torque as per the above.

Hope this is helpful. ByeBye! S.

Standard recommendation for aluminum rims/wheels. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

If you have alloy wheels, retorquing is a standard procedure. I've usually seen it advocated at about 100 miles (150/160 km) though. Do it on the ground, WITH a torque wrench, of course!

I don't think it's critical with steel wheels (though I always check all my wheels after any trip to the tire shop.) Both alloy and steel will lose a little torque, IME, but with steel, it's just a few ft/lbs, where I've had alloy wheels that loosened to the point a lug nut could possibly have come off. More of a problem with new wheels--the mating surfaces get worn in with use and the problem diminishes, again IME. YMMV.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Of course with a torque wrench! Hence the word "torque" in his question. Hey, you might as well assume that they weren't properly torqued to begin with, in which case all bets are off and he probably would not have asked the question in the first place. Bill Putney (to reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with "x")

Reply to
Bill Putney

Not so - easily done on FWD with one wheel on the ground and the other raised (and in gear -MTX - or in park - ATX). With parking brake on rear, engage parking brake - or in all cases, have a helper hold the service brakes on. But, I agree that to re-torque, can be done with wheel loaded (assuming lug nuts are not plum loose).

That's very true!

Bill Putney

Reply to
David Henderson

Subaru specs say 65-85 lb/ft of torque. I set mine at 70-75 lb/ft and then recheck after a week of driving (200-300 miles). I double checked the range the first time I heard it as my wife's Pontiac, also with alloy wheels, recomends 100lb/ft.

I've found that when I torque mine using my Torque wrench I don't have any loosen on me to the point where I can remove them with my fingers. However when me dealer did (whom I no longer use) torqued them using a 'torque stick' (spring steel socket and shaft about 8in long, which twists at a predefined torque), the lug nuts would loosen, usually one or two on different wheels.

I've never had the lug nuts loosen > What is the pr>>

Reply to
null