Tires - NE US

Previously bought Cooper tires and am a little disappointed with their wear, so I'm looking for something with a little more tread life.

We have a V70 AWD and drive it about 7k miles/year city, and 2k/year highway. We're in the Northeast US, so we do have some considerable snow from time to time.

I'm thinking of going with pure winter tires, rather than all-seasons, but I noticed that on some sites, winter tires have no mileage rating. While I've never had a tire last to its mileage rating, with proper maintenance, I'm wondering if the trade off would be worth it.

The current tire is a 205/55/R16. Should I go with a different size to increase winter handling?

The current pricing from the local tire center is about $108 for the Continental Semperit Ice Grip winter tires, or $110 for the all season Sigma Regents (never heard of Sigma) with a 70k warranty.

Am I expecting too much for a tire to last 50k or so without spending $100+ per tire (stems, balance, etc. all inclusive)?

TIA, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Realize that frequent rotation, proper tire pressure, driving style and correct alignment are the biggest determinants of tire wear.

Don't expect miracles from an AWD Volvo, mostly because it's ground clearance is not like that found on may 4wd cars.

Not a good idea unless you like the hars ride and low milage of pure snows on pavement. If the snow is truly that bad and roads are plowed in a reasonable time then consider a second set of wheels with snows. Simply swap wheels in November and March.

No, don't change sizes. Consider a Yokohama or Michelin tire for good ride and traction and reasonable milage IF they are maintained as above.

I doubt that you will get 50k from tires on an AWD car used on snowy potholed northeastern roads.

Reply to
Roadie

Realize that frequent rotation, proper tire pressure, driving style and correct alignment are the biggest determinants of tire wear.

Don't expect miracles from an AWD Volvo, mostly because it's ground clearance is not like that found on many 4wd cars.

Not a good idea unless you like the harsh ride and low milage of pure snows on pavement. If the snow is truly that bad and roads are not plowed in a reasonable time then consider a second set of wheels with snows. Simply swap wheels in November and March.