nuts?

i have an '02 legacy wagon special edition with the subaru alloy wheels.

what's the spec for torquing the lug nuts? (so far i have had wheel nut problems TWICE in 10 months when a dealer did them - it's time to do them myself!)

Reply to
tom klein

Check the owner's manual. IIRC, its 65ft/lbs.

Reply to
Ragnar

checked the owner's manual, and the only reference i could find is under "aluminum wheels" where it says to tighten them "to the specified torque" - it just doesn't say what that might be.

....... tom klein

Reply to
tom

In my owner's manual for the 05 WRX, it says on page 9-12 to torque 58 to 72 ft/lbs (hence the 65 ft/lbs - average). Its the same for steel or alloy wheels.

Reply to
Ragnar

i found a spec for wrx wheels on nasioc.com (65 ft.lb.) - does anyone know if this is the same oem wheel or spec for the legacy?

....... tom klein

Reply to
tom klein

I've always torqued the alloys on my WRX, and on my wifes Forester to

75ft.lb. Never had any problems. Remember, tho, that with any wheel, especially alloy wheels, you need to re-torque them after they have been driven on for awhile (20-50 miles), and then again every couple thousand miles. More frequently if you drive aggressively (hard cornering), or travel over bumpy roads much. We live at the far end of a poorly-maintained dirt road. I make it a point to check tire pressures and wheel nuts on both cars (only takes a minute) whenever the opportunity presents its self, but at least once a month or so. Remember: there's a lot riding on those wheels . . .

ByeBye! S.