o5 forester check engine lite and cruise ctrl lite came on

Hi, Damnest thing. Got a full tank of gass, went about six miles and turned off the engine. Started it back up about three hours later and the check engine lite came on and the cruise control lite starts flashing. then the fuel gage goes to empty and the low fuel lite goes on. Then the fuel lite goes off and the fuel gauge goes to full again. I stop and open the gas cap and purge (burp) the tank. Same shit. When I burped the gas tank I smelled gass but I don't know if its because I opened the gas cap or something is funny in the tank.

Anybody have anything similar happen like that happen to them?? Im off to subaru in the am. O5 forester xt/auto with 27oo miles.

mitch

Reply to
the one and only

Sounds like a bad ground wire.

I dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

We had exactly the same thing happen on our 05 Outback 2.5i, manual w/3200 miles. My wife was driving it when it happened, and she said the car would barely go when you hit the gas. She didn't notice the fuel gauge things you had, but the cruise control light started flashing and the CEL went on. I had filled it up the day before or maybe earlier in the morning, I don't remember. She unscrewed the gas cap and made sure it was back on right and drove home. That afternoon I get the same thing. The next morning I get in it to take it to the dealer just like you are, and everying was fine and it's been fine since! (happened over a week ago) So I'm thinking either I didn't put the cap on correctly or I got bad gas. I broke the cardinal rule and filled up while the fuel truck was there, so was wondering if I got some crud that got churned up in the station's tank.

The owners manual says that the cruise control light flashes when it's been disabled, which you can do if you move the cruise control lever while you're starting the engine. So I thought she accidently did that, but now I'm not so sure after reading your post.

I'm chalking it all up to the gas gap unless I hear different. Seeing how we had both just filled up the tank, it seems pretty similar.

dean.

Reply to
Dino