Chrysler Concorde 2000 fuel alarm going off

My Chrysler Concorde fuel alarm started going off. It goes from full to empty on the gage and an audible alarm comes on and goes off.

Fuel tank is full. Just filled. Fuel cap appears to be on okay. Took it off and put it back on.

Can I safely drive this car. Is it an just alarm malfunction? or what? Could this be bad gas? I just need to know if I can drive it to my local dealer Monday morning.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul Welch

Paul, the fuel sending unit is bad causing this to happen, the fuel pump has to be removed from the tank and a new sending unit will have to be installed. If this vehicle has a lot of miles on it you may want to have the complete fuel pump module replaced. The pump is about $400 and they may charge about 2 hrs labor to install it. Same labor for the sending unit but the part is about $150 And yes you can drive your vehicle as long as you know how much gas is in it

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thank you Glenn. Paul

Reply to
Paul Welch

Apparently high sulfur gasoline can cause fuel sender malfunctions as well. There was a problem with Shell gasoline a few years ago due to a production error, and the company paid for a lot of sender units. Symptoms included malfunctioning fuel gauges and low fuel lights. The sulfur corroded silver contacts. I recall that Chrysler products were especially susceptible. May not be your problem but something to be aware of.

Reply to
Ed