Once more with the '89 GL...

Still a small coolant leak. I wish I had had a water pump gasket when I had the whole thing apart! Maybe next year...

Today's problem: The transmission filter screen. I bought a new one in the late winter, and planned on changing it and 'flushing' the trans fluid. Got the pan off no problem, and got almost all the bolts out of the filter. There were a number of 8mm bolts, and 3 10mm bolts. All the 8's came out NP, and 2 of the 10's did. There's one 10mm bolt different from all the others; the others have 'crowns' on them, this one has a slightly rounded top. It just turns. I was going to try and force it out somehow, but I'm afraid there's a nut I won't be able to get to. I thought maybe it was attached to something actually attached to the filter and it would just pull out...nope!

This is a 3-speed trans w/AWD. What I did do, since the screen wasn't real dirty was to spray it with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It looked pretty good afterwards, so if there isn't an easy solution, I'll just replace the rest of the bolts and reattach the pan...

Reply to
Hachiroku