Outback tyre choice (AUS)

Any recommendations for best 215/60x16 tyre for a 99 OB Ltd in south coast NSW? Mileage is roughly 30% hwy, 40% town, 25% secondary roads & bends, 5% dirt, gravel & occasional snow & mud.

I find Geolander 040s too squirmy; current Federal FD1s good except for lousy tyre mileage & predictably poor traction on mud or wet grass.

Any tyre suggestions about what works or (probably more importantly) doesn't over the next week or so will be gratefully received. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Dunlop Sport 200 E ? I use these tyres (215x60x16) with my Forester '99 and works fine under all conditions (even with snow).

"hippo" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

Thanks for the feedback. They were on the list of "heard ofs" but I didn't know anything about them up 'til now. Has anyone tried Coopers? (tyres that is) Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Try Yokahama's "C:Drive". They're a replacement for the Yokahama A539. I've put them on our Outback and Forester, the difference is amazing.

HTH

hippo wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns

Friens has Coopers on his Outback, he says the handling is absolute crap and strongly recommends don't buy. That's why I went the Yokahama way.

HTH

hippo wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns

Thanks for both comments. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

What do you mean by squirmy? I have Geo 040's (in Sydney) and was wondering what else is around.

Reply to
RockyRoad

Feels to me like a combination of excessive sidewall flex and tread squirm, whether the pressures are at spec or higher. The wheels turn but the contact patch only seems to follow when it's good and ready! They also seem to lack traction and grip in greasy conditions or on wet roundabouts and the like.

Quite a few alternatives, depending on your usage and your budget. I've got to decide what within the next week or so. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Michelin MXV8-great tyrelife and so quiet.

Reply to
Quest

I put Michelin HydroEdge 225/60R16 on my 04' OBW 6 cylinder and am very happy. They have a lower speed rating than the Bridgestones that came on the car but the T rating is still faster than I normally drive and the load rating is higher. Drove on a long trip thru some heavy rains at 80 mph at times and thru some coastal highway turns, they handled great. Wear is very good especially considering the OE tires were junk in 30,000 miles.

Reply to
Greg

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I've just bought a set of Yoko C-Drives. First impressions from a 12km drive home through an absolute deluge are good. If anyone's interested I can do an update in a month or so. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

You got rain? Where are you in Australia? Last I heard is that you're having the worst drought.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Much of Aus has been in drought for 3 - 4 years. This won't end the drought but it's certainly dumped a lot of water in a lot of places where it's needed: try 38 - 900mm (1.5 - 36") in the last *72hrs*. We had 110mm yesterday. You've gotta love the place! Cheers

Reply to
hippo