Cheap tyre choice.

OK, the old Cavalier ought to have a pair of new tyres, the MOT man was faintly critical of the ones now fitted. This car is not going to be used as a racing car, so I'd like to get some cheapos. Any recommendations?

ATS will do me a pair of (somethings) for £64, another firm will do Marshalls for £70, another firm "BF Goodridge" (sp?) also at £70, all "all in". I can also get some "Chang Chang" or "Ning Nang" or something unpronouncable for £27 each.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Race car or not, stay away from the cheap 'ching-chang' tyres, there really bad, honestly... I had some fitted to a car years ago and had them removed about 2000miles later, I kept expecting them to get better, they didn't! They slipped in the wet and skidded under light braking in the wet. In my experience with the Cavalier and Vectra, they are not the best cars in the world for front wheel grip, I would get a cheapo tyre, but stick to a known brand from Europe, something that's good in the wet. My cavalier ran Good-Year NCT2's - Fantastic, but you cannot buy them now.

I have owned these cars in the past

1990 1.8GL Cavalier Saloon (4 Years)
Reply to
Nik&Andy

Nik&Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@adenleyremovethis.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think that shows a good reason not to give/take generic tyre advice. I've got Premacies on my XM at the moment, and while they're not quite as good as the Pilot Exaltos that were on before, but they are certainly light years away from being "terrible"...

Reply to
Adrian

But with respect, along the line of your very same argument about taking advice... I too have owned a Citroen XM, two in fact... A 2.1TD Automatic and a 2.5TD Manual, trouble is they handle *nothing* like a Vauxhall Cavalier at all, especially the auto.

The premacy's caused the Vectra to have great handling in the dry, apart from being very noisy, but in the wet I found them not so good, especially pulling away at junctions in the wet, they would spin.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I ran BF Goodrichs (195 60 15s) on my Mondeo for about 50k miles, and never= =20 had a problem with them.

Good grip in wet & dry, and they lasted much longer than the Eagle NCT5s=20 which I'd been fitting beforehand.

HTH

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I've just put a set of these on my Passat (1.8T) & I think they are pretty good. Did a long run the other day up the M'way & it returned 36mpg where I would normally/previously have expected about 32/33.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

I ran BF Goodrichs (195 60 15s) on my Mondeo for about 50k miles, and never had a problem with them.

Good grip in wet & dry, and they lasted much longer than the Eagle NCT5s which I'd been fitting beforehand.

I'll second that....I've used BFGs for a couple of years - they're made by Michelin

Peter

Reply to
PH13

only one Hankook

Reply to
George Spigot

Second that. Used Hankook on a previous car and was very pleased with them.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew

You drive like a girl.

My 1.8T turns in mid to high 20s mpg on motorway runs.

Reply to
SteveH

Forget the budget brans at the big chains and look for premium brands at you local small tyre depot.

If its the 195/60 r14's - I used to get Goodyears for £55 all-in (valve, balance and VAT) from my local small dealer - the ATS/KwikFit budget tyres cost more than this. Michelins he charged the going rate for. (75 quid)

Reply to
R. Murphy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

"Erratically and with no mechanical sympathy" wouldn't give mpg figures like that!

Reply to
Guy King

I have plenty of mechanical sympathy, I don't go into the red zone on the rev counter.

A steady *cough*mph drops the figures right down.

Reply to
SteveH

Nik&Andy ( snipped-for-privacy@adenleyremovethis.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Exactly. I'm not saying they'll be good on a Cavalier. Hell, I can't think of *anything* that'd be good on a Cavalier, other than another Cavalier, piled up in a scrappy...

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mmmm. You also reckon 4k miles is good out of a set of tyres, IIRC.

Sounds to me like you drive like a bit of a girl.

Reply to
Adrian

I defy anyone to get more than 4k out of a pair of Yokos on a hot hatch.

It can't be done - FWIW, they were worn on the edges, not the middle. (And yes, the tracking was spot on)

Please expand.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

I expect to get 40k out of the cheapies on my lumbering old estate.

Reply to
Guy King

I'll third that....used them on my Escort for about 45k with no problems at all.

Les J.

Reply to
Les J

20-30k on the cheapies on my Xantia. Mind you the handling in the wet is crap which is why I've changed brands.
Reply to
Malc

lol, agreed...

Andy