passenger mirror

help! I broke the passenger side mirror off my 98 legacy wagon. I found a new one but don't know how. what do I have to do to swap them out

charlie

Reply to
chaskess3

Take the cover off where the mirror attaches, undo the harness (if it's powered)undo the screws, remove the mirror and reverse to install...

This is for an '89, but it's similar:

Hachiroku

how does the cover come off the inside of the door? charlie

Reply to
chaskess3

Just pry on it and it'll pop off.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

The Haynes manual covers that in some detail. You don't want to just pry it off..... unless it's a manual mirror. There are wires you need to connect inside the door.

It's been a year since I replaced mine, but basically you need to remove the plastic triangular piece of plastic in the inside of the mirrror, remove the inner liner to the door, undo three bolts that hold the mirror in place, disconnect the wire(s) that go to the mirror (one set for motor control, one set for heat), and then reverse the process to install the new mirror.

Nothing hard, be patient and gentle or you'll break something.

And the book - which has good pictures - is less than $20 (if memory serves).

Mike

Reply to
Mike Avery

Chaskess3, The cover uses 3 studs with flared tips that push through holes in a rubber seal. After many years, these studs become brittle and will probably break off unless you very slowly pry off the cover but even then they may break off. If they do break off, the studs are hollow and you may be able to use a small screw through the cover plate to hold the studs onto the plate, then paint black the top of the screws. That's if the stud breaks off at the plate. If that won't work or you don't like that hack job, go to a salvage yard that carries Subies and pull one off there. No matter how careful I am, I break off a stud or two about 50% of the time, more so the older the car.

John, Ask the admin running the forum-to-Usenet gateway at talkaboutautos.com to disable their spam signature. It is not appreciated in Usenet. They want to lie about the size of their forum community by hijacking their way into Usenet using a gateway. That's okay but not when they spam Usenet by advertising their forum. It adds nothing regarding tracking of their forum post (gatewayed to Usenet) and should be using a header for that, anyway (which it appears they do). They are spamifying your posts. Apparently they can't even figure out how to properly add an attribution line to quote to whom you are replying. Or you could use a real newsreader and connect to an NNTP server to post to Usenet.

Reply to
VanguardLH