So Who Makes Good Aftermarket Cats?

I've read all the horror stories about aftermarket catalytic converters melting heads, torching upholstery, etc., etc., but there are still some folks who say "there are acceptable aftermarket cats for Subarus." Who makes them? Anyone here had a good experience with an aftermarket catalytic converter for a 2.5L Legacy Outback exhaust? I currently live in So Cal, and will be moving soon to Colorado (both are emissions testing states), so I need something that actually works, and keeps the Check Engine light off! ;-)

Thanks,

Wayne B.

Reply to
wcb

Junkyard, or get a code reader that will turn off the CEL to get you through the testing center. Also, depends where you live in CO. We used to have testing but don't have it anymore. Denver still has testing, but may give it up in favor of a new testing device that checks your car as you drive by. Also, many cars will pass emissions with or without a working cat. It's that CEL that will flunk you.

Reply to
Sheldon

I didn't think wrecking yards are allowed to sell emissions parts.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Have you tried Cobb Tuning?

I didn't check, I'm just throwing it out.

Best of luck.

Got an airpump for my 911 that got me through emissions from a junkyard. Wasn't even for a 911 but it fit and worked. On a cat, airpump, etc., they can only do a visual inspection, so if you physically have a cat, and the car passes emissions, you're good to go. My car passed emissions just fine, but I flunked the test because of the visual inspection and no air pump. The air pump made a difference, but not as much as you would think.

I'm not implying you should break the law, but if the car will pass the emissions part of the test without a working cat is that so bad? Also, be absolutely sure the cat is the problem. Just about anything will turn that light on.

Reply to
Sheldon