Re: Cracked Windshield

Ah yes... Insurance.

Unfortunately, when I lost my job, I had to pare my expenses to the bone. In the case of my insurance bill, this meant $1k deductible on comp and collision to keep my premium as low as possible. So you see, insurance will not help me with this. Novel eh?

Thanks anyway, Mark

Here's a novel approach, its called Car Insurance > > > > A couple of days ago, a small rock or other debris hit my windshield > approximately 1" from the left edge. A 3" crack immediately appeared which > is now running its way across the windshield. > > Wake-up Call: The local dealers want $645 - $704 for the glass, $64. - $75. > for the molding and $150 - $175. to install. Ouch! > > Any experiences, gotchas, advice, etc. on going directly to the after market > for this repair? Thanks in advance.... > > -- > Regards, > Mark > > > >
Reply to
mark

WRXtreme

yeah, and some states like mine, require the insurance company to pay for the windshield, look into it

Check your policy. I have a 1k deductible too, but windshield cracks aren't included.

Reply to
twotreks

Reply to
spam

Ouch! I've replaced windshield in a Honda Accord twice (in IL and in CA), for about $200 total each, by non-dealer ...

I can't imagine Subaru windshields being that much more expensive. Call around.

quote to replace windshield in 03 OBW inPasadena, CA, shows $385 total. Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Pluzhnikov

This on a 2002 WRX Wagon

And thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I will check with my insurance in the morning and see what they say.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
mark

Reply to
tom boy

I certainly wouldn't pay the dealership $1K for new glass; an independent glass shop will do it for 1/2 that or less. I've had good luck with Windshields Express. Ask your insurance agent about 0-deductible glass coverage. It's not real expensive, and will virtually guarantee that you never get another broken windshield ;-)

ByeBye! S.

According to...

The windshield costs ~$560.00.

FYI. In Ky, safety glass is covered under your insurance. My wifes old Toyota Camery was broken into via the passenger side window. We took it to the local Toyota dealer and they replaced it, no charge to us. They even replaced the window tinting. I believe they just bill it to our insurance company. Plus, they never raised our insurance rate either.

Reply to
Mark

I feel lucky! 25 years of driving and never chipped, cracked or broke a windshield (Now that I wrote this). My wife did once and insurance paid for the whole thing even though our deductible was 500. It was a Malibu and it cost $175 installed (NJ). I thought that was cheap and he told me it was special treated glass too. Now we have an Accord too and I see someone said they replaced one and on an Accord group - many say they break due to angle or something. I hope not. I can't imagine a Subaru is much more. No larger or more curved then most cars. No special coatings either (I know because EZ Pass for tolls works on my OBW but doesn't on many cars w/ special coatings - no Subaru's are listed on their site as special). Jim

Reply to
Jim

The dings by the edge tend to crack, but ones near the center don't.

Is your car one of the models with the heated wipers?

I've replaced several windshields aftermarket with no problems and a huge savings.

My insurance company doesn't offer a lower deductible for glass than for other parts, but many do and so yours might. It's worth checking for next time.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

I believe the logic behind this is that it's dangerous to drive with impaired vision, so it's better to fix the windshield than run the risk of you getting into a more expensive accident that they will have to pay for.

Reply to
John Varela

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Guess I should have said that the replacement window was not a Toyota window. They bought it from a local autoglass supply store. It didn't have the proper window tinting that comes standard in the Toyota factory glass. Even after the aftermarket window tinting was applied (we used the same store and film) it still didn't look like the other windows. Oh, well... Finally traded it in on the Forester...

Reply to
Mark

Here in Colorado, they refuse to demand that trucks and SUVs have mudflaps. Consequently, the average life of a windshield is around 18 months. It almost makes it an exercise in futility to replace a broken windshield. I bought a 1995 Legacy Outback on 7/10/03. Within 3 weeks, the windshield had been hit by 2 rocks, with one pretty big ding and a crack coming out from the passenger's side of the edge as results.

Weirdly, back when I used to travel the country with a band from Boston, the state of New York issued an arrest warrent for me because the truck I was driving had an "inadequate splashguard" due to the fact that the exhaust pipe burned off the bottom inch of the mudflap. they gave me a week to send evidence of repair before enforcing the warrant. Right after I moved to Colorado in 1995, a city of Boulder truck broke my Honda Accord windshield. It had no mudflap. Grrrr.

Edwin PS A Ability Glass here in Boulder did a great job of replacing the Honda windshield for a very decent price.

Reply to
Edwin Hurwitz

Mark,

I very similar windsheild crack happend to my WRX 2002 sedan. It was fixed, and then it cracked again when the installer was wiping it clean, then again

3 months later...

I am beginning to think there is something wrong with my WRX

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Hey Tim,

That really sucks for you. I sure hope my experience is better. Were any of these repairs done "OEM" by a dealer?

-Mark

Reply to
mark

Driving to work this morning construction vehicle one lane over and 2 cars ahead. Rock comes off truck, hits windshield, bam nice little spider cracks in windshield. Now I've had rocks hit this windshield before and not even leave a scratch but this one must have had special powers. On one occasion I had a rock hit it soo hard it made my ear ring, and it left not even a scratch.

So I called the insurance to file a claim (luckily I have full glass coverage). I then called my Scooby dealer to see who they use and I called that company. They are going to use a PPG window and OEM moulding. I have the heated windshield and I know PPG is an OEM (at least for Mercedes and GM) so is the quality the same because the OEM glass in my Scooby is Carilex and besides the rock chip I've noticed that with all my highway drive the glass 'covered' with tiny pits and it's near impossible to drive towards the sun.

Will I have this problem with the PPG replacement?

Reply to
null