Pimp my '96 outback

Gents. I'm having my OB painted. It should look good. Removining decals. Nice burgandy on top and satin black on the bottom.

I'm thinking about guilding the lily with a hood bra. I think the whole effect will be unique and quite nice. So......where can I find a car bra? Any sources come to mind?

Thanks much Jim

Reply to
celdt celdt

Some folks claim problems from both trapped condensation as well as 'scuffing' from movement against trapped dust.

I dunno how severe those could be.

An alternative would be a 'clear bra' film. They make it also for the headlights and the front side of the mirrors.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Good point. After spending a grand on paint it wouldn't do to scratch it all up.

About that clear thingy. Where can I find out about that?

Reply to
celdt celdt

John

many window tint shops offer the service. Get a 'name brand' and/or a guarantee against yellowing. I think 3M makes some film.

If you have windo tinting experience, I think you can get the pre-cut pieces and perhaps install yourself.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

For best results, clean the glass with a NON AMMONIA foaming glass cleaner, then spray it again and leave it. Apply the film over the glass cleaner, and with a good squeegee with no rough spots, squeegee the tint from one corner, across and down, driving out the glass cleaner.

Then God help you if you live in Mass or another state that allows 35% maximum tint and have to remove it! (It took almost as long to take it off as it did to install it!!!)

(As an aside, I had a green car, and got some green tint in the same color at AutoZone on clearance for $1 a roll....the guy I was working with knew the guy at the inspection station, and I think he called when I dropped my car off, telling the kid "tell him he has to remove that horrible tint...", since you could see through it quite easily...but it sure was a bear to rermove!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, I'm sure the same or similar technique will work on applying a 'clear bra', but, just be certain, this stuff goes on your painted hood to help protect against rock chips.

here's a description and some pics;

1 Lucky Texan