Problems with 86 Firebird

I am having trouble with a passenger side pop-up headlight. It was in a wreck and I have been rebuilding it. I thought the motor for the headlight worked, it spun around and everything but when attached to the headlight itself it will only go down when it is cranked up. Even after that it won't move after that up or down. I crank it open again and it does the same thing. I noticed that there was a wire stretched accross from the 3 prong plug of the driver's side to the passenger side. I am not sure how it goes on if it does or if its needed. Please note that there are 2 and 3 prong plug motors when I found out the hard way. Could I have a bad motor? How does the green wire come into play? I went to the junkyard to look at a similar one and there is no extra wire for the 3 prong motor.

Also any tips on keeping the headliner in the inside from coming down? It droops.

Also I am trying to recharge the A/C and would like to know details on how to recharge it. I have the new kit but I am not sure where the hose attaches to. It blows hot right now. I was told it had to be evacauated first, but this has to be done at a shop. I would like to do this at home if possible. Any tips?

The check engine light also comes on. Even though the engine passed emissions. Any way to get that light turned out?

When the engine is turned over a click and a whirl comes from under the dashboard up top. Any idea what that is and how to fix?

Also any tips on making it faster would be helpful. I can get good add on parts at the junk yard so far.

I am also removing a fender bolt that is rusted solid. Last bolt that needs to come out so I can either replace or pound out the fender. Any tips on that?

I have digital pics if anybody wants to look at them for ideas of any of the problem areas.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Vile

I ended up getting another motor anyway for the light.

I will try and glue the underneath of the felt, I was hoping to be able to spray something from the outside of it without peeling it off.

Are you saying that I need to replace the fuel pump relay or actually leave it off? Why would I not need it?

I was using a 19 amp cordless drill, I can't seem to drill into the bolt, what kind of bit should I use? Does it matter? Do I really need to push into the bolt? I don't want to damage anything.

As for making it faster, is there a speed website for improving engines? Something that talks about replacing parts or getting what I need to make the engine faster. Repair manual does not do that. Maybe some kind of street racing website?

Reply to
Vile

My budget would be under $500. The junkyard I goto seems to get birds, AM's and Cameros all the time. Just wondering what to pull to make me faster. The engine I have is 6 cylinders I know. Have to look to see what size. I just want to know in general what to add on or replace. Not looking to change the engine either just simple things.

I also got that headlight to work right. I guess that wire helps it go up and down after all for unknown reason. Not sure why they have to be connected together. Must have been a prior prob for somebody. Who knows?

Also I am working on A/C next. Right now it blows heat for A/C. Does that mean I can change to the new stuff w/o having to evacuate it? If you can give me tips on that that would be cool.

Reply to
Vile

There is nothing "simple" you can do to get the increase in power like you want on a 6.

Umm...it MIGHT be powering the motor???? It MIGHT be a ground for it?

You can kiss your $500 bux bye on the AC repair, as this is one area a newbie does not need to be playing and learning....IF you want it to work. If you cant spell CAMARO right, I doubt seriously you will be able to evac and recharge your system. IF the systems been down more than 24 hours and has a leak, and lets say that its got atmosphere into the system, meaning, no pressure, the dryer will have to be replaced, the leak found, the system leak repaired, the system evacuated, and the system charged. IF you change over to the "new stuff", that aint that new, meaning, 134a, and not 416 for example, you will also ned to change out the coil in the system...as good old mineral oil that was originally used in the unit wont work with 134a, and will have to be an ester based oil. IF you go the correct route, R12, you will need to be licenced and while its not a big deal, its best left to someone with a clue...meaning, someone that has experence in this, otherwise, you will be wondering why the compressors locked, or why its making funny noises... Of course, it could be something simple, like a bad clutch coil, a bad LP switch, or the like....but if you have to ask, its best left to a shop that deals in that, and someone you can trust.

Reply to
CBHvac

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Was gonna say, "Ask CBHVAC or RSCAMARO about the AC portion...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Well as a newb I think I am doing ok. I got the driver's seat changed from the broken one. Pulled off the damaged front bumper, passenger side fender and headlight and changed them. I just need a little instruction is all.

I will prob go with a service guy for the a.c I guess. I do think its just out of R-12.

Reply to
Vile

It may be that your system is "just out of gas" but all ac systems are hermetic or sealed. If there is no refrigerant in the system or if it is low on charge then there is a leak which if not repaired WILL cause the compressor and/or other components to fail. It's possible that the system under these conditions will not cool efficiently ever again with out replacing the whole system.

Do yourself a favor and maybe even future owners and have the repairs done right.

...Ron

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

I also have an oil leak I am going to tackle. I beleve its a head gasket. Any tips for doing that?

I looked around on the web and it seems that exhaust can increase horsepower? Any suggestions for what type of exhaust to get for this

86 Firebird that is a V6? I guess the way to search for improvements is Firebird performance. Is there a way to measure horsepower? What tools or things needed for that? Again if I can I want to pull from the junkyard. Does the carborator have anything to do with increasing horsepower also?

Also still wondering about that noise under the dash that whirrs when it starts up then stops. Is that really the fuel relay and should I replace it not remove it?

I still have a rusty bolt on the driver's side fender I want removed w/o hurting the fender so I can pound it out. I need the right size drill bit for removing it or just drilling into it. The bolt is about the size of half a pinky finger. Does coke really help with rusty bolts?

The drooping headliner does not seem to glue with spray glue. I think I will use some pins to hold it up. Any other type of glue that is good for holding it up?

If no ideas from anybody this is still a good place to post my thoughts on my progress. To keep as a log if anything. Always have to learn the hard way I guess.

Reply to
Vile

If you are still messing around with that bolt.. get a can of KOIL.. that shit breaks anything rusted... coat it, a few times, let it sit.. and try it...

Reply to
KITT

I've been where you are... still am in some cases.. I've "learned the hard way" lots with my car.. but 5 years and its still running like a dream. These things take lots of time, reading, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, Umm.. did I mention research?, money, and patients. About the exhaust for the (most likely 2.8L?) you aren't going to get a whole lot for the cost/performance ratio. About the oil leak, get it looked at... headgaskets are not something to really screw with if you don't know what you are doing. You can go to some shops to have your car "dynoed" which from what I understand will tell you your HP, torque.. etc.. but obviously its not free. Oh, and I would suggest starting off with getting a good set of wrenches and sockets (craftsman is a good choice) Sounds like you don't have a lot at your disposal.

Reply to
KITT