PS Rack on OBW

00 OBW, on a scale of 1-5, how difficult is it to replace the steering rack w/o the use of an air wrench, a lift or garage? I do as much maintenance on my cars as possible but I need to weigh the labor cost vs the time I'd spend doing it. Last major mechanical repair I did was an axle on my 95 LS. Autozone has a rack for $229 plus 115 core, what do suspect the labor/time would be in a shop?
Reply to
John

Well, if anything like the older models, 4 bolts hold the rack. Steering column needs separated, one bolt. Two power steering lines and two tie rod ends. I would just replace with a newer used one. Probably all up to the current models are identical. A used low- mileage used one will probably last lots longer than the rebuilt unit. I replaced the rack in my 85 XT a few years back in the driveway. Took maybe 3 hours.

Reply to
johninky