Timing belt repl.? 00 Outback ltd 87,800 mi

I just bought a 00 Outback Ltd and love it. wondering if I should get timing belt done now or wait till closer 105,000. Thanks richard frazier park,ca

Reply to
lenny davinki

I'm changing mine at ~ 100,000. Your call. If you spend $4-$500 early and car gets totaled by a drunk at 90,000, you lose.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Unfortunately, your 00 is subject to the HG going out. This can typ happen at about 125k miles. I think I would wait and get an assessment at 105k and make a decision at that time about the likelihood on the HG. A good portion of the labor to change the belt would have to be repeated if/when HG has to be replaced.

On my 00 obw I replaced the belt when I purchased with 111k miles on it, by 120k miles I started noticing a small amount of coolant loss and by 124k I could see the leak. I did have a shop make this repair.

One can expect to pay between $1500 and $2000 for a HG replacement with much of that being for labor. It's your $ so you'll have to decide at what point you want to spend the money with the possibility of having to repeat much of the work some months later.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

thanks for the info richard