Questions about Subaru Quality/New Outback Purchase

So does that mean my car is 5% safer with me driving it than my wife? (I'm betting she'd disagree.)

Maybe I should add a couple hundred pounds of ballast to my Forester.

But seriously: Any safety advantage resulting from vehicle weight is only achieved from weight *differential*. Your 5400 lb Land Cruiser will be harmed a lot more in a collision with another 5400 lb Land Cruiser than with a 2500 lb Miata. And it will come out the loser in a collision with a

7000-lb Hummer. But then the Miata is probably better at dodging your Land Cruiser than your Land Cruiser is at dodging a Hummer. So which vehicle is really "safer?" And there are so many other factors involved in making a vehicle "safe" that the reference you cited above is almost certainly of the "out my ass" variety. (The source, not you.)

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

Gregg:

Re: airbags, specifically - one of the things that gives Subaru good crash ratings on front and offest crashes is that the airbags explode *upwards* towards the ceiling first, rather than *outward* towards the driver and passengers. My recollection is that the NHTSA pointed out that the style of airbags had a lot to do with child injuries due to airbags as well.

Sandi

Reply to
sandi-k