Re: '96 Subaru Outback in trouble

We have a '96 Subaru Outback that has about 100K. We thought it was

> in fairly decent working order. However, last weekend my husband was > on the freeway (65mph) about 1 hour into a trip when the car seized up > and he had to coast to a stop. There was steam and smoke coming out > of the engine and water and anti-freeze everywhere when he opened the > hood. Before the seize-up he didn't notice any degradation in > performance and no extra lights on. He had it towed to a Subaru > dealership and to start with, we would have a bill of almost $1300 and > only then will they know if we might have a cracked head gasket > ($1200-$1500) and/or it will need rings replaced (?) ($2400). He said > that we have a 1 in 4 chance that it could be something in addition to > the $1300. We are at a loss as to what we should do. We are thinking > of trying to sell it for parts but wondering how realistic this is and > whether we could recoup much money there. This is a second car for > us (not desparately needed), but probably down the road would need to > get another, even if we decided to cut our losses now. > My questions are do the costs above sound outrageous? Does it seems > stange that they can't tell us for sure how much it will be in the > end? There is a laundry list of things they will be fixing with the > initial $1300... it says on the invoice that the timing belt melted > (it had been replaced a year or so ago), along with the water pump, > thermostat, more belts and seals and pulleys. > anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Like I said we are at a > crossroads and just want to know if anyone here thinks this is a > no-brainer one way or the other... > > tia > Michele
Reply to
Edward Hayes

trip when the car seized up

Well, it _could_ be pretty severe depending on what failed. Never the less those prices seem rather inflated, but then you did say it was a dealership :-P I would imagine you could have a lo-mileage used engine installed for around the $1300 mark; check with an independent service facility, or even a local auto parts recycler (junk yard) that deals with Soobies. A Subaru engine swap isn't a horrible chore if you have the appropriate tools and a place to do the work. This is probably a more appropriate approach (as opposed to a partial rebuild) for a car with

100K+ miles on the ticker in any event. Tell us where you are, and perhaps someone can make a recommendation.

ByeBye! S.

Thanks much for your responses!

It just quit running. he was going 65 mph and all of a sudden it killed and all the accessory lights went on. After he coasted to a stop, he tried once to start it, and it made noise like it was turning over, but it was clear it wouldn't start again so that's when he had it towed.

We verified with the dealer that it does crank, and i'm actually having them do a compression check right now just to make sure the timing didn't miss. any idea what the compression should be here? does 80lbs sound about right? seems like the crux (sp?) of the problem was the over-heating rather than the timing.

Thanks for this. he did say that if the rings were warped, we might have engine knock but if we can live with this, it does no harm.

(From steve)

unfortunately, neither of us are real motor minded and we have been on the fence about the shop that we have been bringing our car to (ie not completely trusted). besides the fact that the car is still an hour's drive from our house. I've gotten a quick and dirty car-overheat-and-the-problems-it-can-cause lesson from a co-worker/auto and plane mechanic this morning which is why i'm talking a bit more intelligently this morning (hopefully?). we are thinking this compression check should tell us whether the engine is still ok?

this from this blurb on the invoice/estimate:

"Water pump seized. bearings in idler pulleys siezed also. engine got hot. damaged plastic. can't run engine to know if any other damage has happened." on the next sheet it says something about the timing belt melting

we are in the twin cities. the car is in st. cloud, MN

thanks for your thoughts and i'd welcome any more :-)

michele

Reply to
Michele

You need to provide a lot more info about what happened when the car died in the driveway and what the dealer is recommending in order to get accurate advice. However, even if the repair bill is $2400, assuming everything else works okay, a '96 OBW with 100K miles is worth about 2-1/2 times that.

Reply to
L. Kreh