Re: Ping Hachi - Mazda Question (No start/relay clicks)

Tomes wrote:

>> Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote: >>> >>> >>>> Hi Hachi, >>>> Been a while again. I have a question for you as a Mazda guy. My >>>> son this summer took apart his 2007 MazdaSpeed3 to put in a new >>>> clutch. Now he has it all together again, looking good, turns the >>>> key and only gets clicks at the relays. The headlights do not dim >>>> when the key is turned. I see no extra wires hanging around; all >>>> connections seem to be in order, and the connectors were taken off >>>> and put on again to 'ensure' they are connected. What would you do? >>>> Thanks, >>>> Tomes >>> >>> I HATE GROUNDS! THEY SUCK! >>> >>> That said, the first thing I would be looking for is a loose or >>> unattached >>> ground wire somewhere! >>> >>> Um, 2007 and it needed a new clutch?!?!? >>> >>> My 1985 "Hachiroku", sitting in the back yard with 259,000 miles on it, >>> still has the clutch it had from the factory! And I certainly did not >>> baby >>> that car! I didn't do smoking burnouts, but it got DRIVEN! >>> >> Grounds. OK, that is the focus now, thanks. >> >> It is the MazdaSpeed version which has more of a performance setup, >> which means that it wears out faster being more responsive and all. One >> usually seems to go with the other. It uses a strange clutch that is >> not stock, according to Zac. We are over 100K on this too. >> >> I will let you know what comes next. Thanks. >> Tomes > > OK. The grounds that Zac messed with and just checked again are 2 by > the starter. There are a lot more grounds in general in the engine bay > that he sees and they look to be all connected. Are there suspicious > ones? Still no start. > Tomes

Checked all the connections, right? All nice and tight, and all connected to where they're supposed to go? Good battery (wasn't connected backwards) and the Fusible Links are all OK? Safety Interlock looking good? (Usually this would cause a no-start situation, which would be nothing at all.)

Transmission connections all OK? I know my Mazda and my Nissan had two connectors on them, but they were for backup lights and I thin an EGR cutoff in 5th gear.

I'm crossing this to r.a.t and soob, because someone there was just describing the same situation.

Or, was that you?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nope, wasn't me, although of course I am eminently interested in that. I am forwarding this to Zac for a confirmation on your list, thanks for that.

Folks, keep the cross-posting going on this one, thanks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Let's try to see if it will start. Jump a wire from the plus side of the battery to the small twelve volt terminal at the solenoid and see if it turns over. Put it in neutral first. Doing this should cause the starter to turn over and then you will at least know there is no problem with that. You could also turn the key on and try the same and see if it starts. You could also put a hefty screw driver or a piece of metal across the large connectors on the solenoid and see if the starter turns over. Be careful if you do this as sparks can fly. Just need to tap it to make sure the starter works. careful. If it turns over doing this, you know the solenoid is bad.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Thanks Bob, we will try this out.

Hachi, tell me more about the safety interlocks.

Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks Bob, we will try this out.

Hachi, tell me more about the safety interlocks.

Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Thanks Bob, we will try this out.

Hachi, tell me more about the safety interlocks.

Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Stuck in a rut?

There is a switch on the clutch pedal, when you push the clutch to the floor it actuates a switch, and usually closes a relay to allow the engine to start. I had to bypass this on my 240SX since I wasn't about to pay what Nissan wanted for the relay.

Hmmm..if the relay were out, the horn would work, the lights would work, etc...

Reply to
Hachiroku