Removing exhaust heat shield, repairing pipe

MY 98 OBLW has developed a hole in the mid-pipe, near the rear of the heat shield. I'd like to repair this and avoid buying another pipe for a while. Can this be done?

As a first step, I know that I'll need to remove the heat shield. The bolts that fasten it to the pipe are so rusted though, that I can't get a wrench on them. What is the best way to remove these?

Thanks.

Reply to
BobN

It breaks this die-hard DIYer's heart to say this, but I'd take it to a muffler shop. I've fought with exhaust systems before (I've never lived in a rust area) and I've always felt it wasn't worth the fight when I was done. The pipe is history, because there is a reason the hole formed: it is rusting from the inside out. It never occurred to me that every hole I'd ever seen in exhaust was on the bottom of something - never on the top - until I realized it came from the condensation that was collecting there.

A pro will have that out in a twinkling of an eye with a cutting torch (and without marking the good metal around it - a real art), will remove the pipe and throw it on the scrap iron heap, then put in new pieces as needed.

If you ask around a bit, you will learn which shops are good and which just want as much of your money as possible. I can't recommend any of the chains, but is seems a lot of independents stay in business by doing a lot of good work. Ironically, low prices for labor often mean they are good at what they do; the labor rate is about the same, but less time spent. I know they do it in less than a tenth the time it takes me.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi, I have a diehard 93 subaru, same prob. I "Sawz all"ed what i needed to scrap out, broke heat sheild bolts, kept heat sheild and put back on with radiator hose type clamps and replaced pipe with custom bent galvanized with my own weld.What I saved for repair cost is priceless due to galvanized add on. The clamps actually made sheild tighter than where it stretches out to vibrate noisy for under a dollar. I'd find a garage before an oem replacement muffler shop (too much money).

"> It never occurred to me that every hole I'd

As for that statement, i am an unlucky one, the hole was not only up top, it was exactly below the gear shifter with an improperly seated boot! (exhaust literally came into the car)

Reply to
bgd

Ooh, nasty stuff! Years ago I had the misfortune to get a dose of CO in an industrial setting, and had all the symptoms except death (well, AFAIK I was still semi-conscious.) Glad you escaped that fate.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee