Repair Manuals for 2000 Outback

I have been looking for a repair manual for my Y2K Outback. It appears neither Haynes or Chilton publishes one for that car. Are there any available or are you forced to directly to Subaru?

thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Edward Hayes

Reply to
John Cadella

You can go to

and pay $19.99for 72 hour access. The manual is divided up into sections and is inPDF format. I downloaded all sections for my 2000 Legacy along withservice bulletins in less than 2 hours with a bradband connection. Ithought this was a great deal.

-Jeff

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
X-Eliminator

I counted 471 PDF files for the complete manual. Here's their latest policy:

72 Hours (3 days) @ $19.95 30 Days @ $299.95 365 Days (1 year) @ $2499.95

Although all information on this site is available to you when you purchase a subscription, users are limited to access a maximum of 20 PDFs per hour. This will assist Subaru in keeping subscription rates from increasing, as well as allowing better service levels for all users. If a subscribed user attempts to access more than 20 PDFs in one hour, they will be taken to a warning page and will be prohibited from accessing any additional PDFs until the start of the current hour has expired. Browsing and searching on the site may be performed at any time

Reply to
jeff

But Subaru apparently doesn't. :-) From the site's front page:

"Although you have the option of downloading information to your computer with a paid subscription, we do not advise that you do this."

What a way to sell online subscriptions, eh? Here's their rationale:

"Information contained on this site is updated frequently. Though we will make every effort to make our site visitors aware of new information, if you only use this site for a one-time download of information, you may potentially not know of updated versions of your downloaded document. We strongly suggest that you "view" PDF data, or print it for reference."

Reply to
David Hakala

That's really funny. If the data changes that often, where is the incentive to drop $200 for the "book"? For $20, I can download the .pdf files once or twice a year.

I must say that the 20 file limit sucks. A lot of the files are only a few kb each. I have cable access here so I hit my limit in 7 minutes. That really sucks.

Reply to
oothlagre

The reason this came about was that too many people found out about 3 day access pass and their bandwidth was getting hammered to the point where dealers couldn't get access. So, they decided to enact this limit. I got mine before the limit was enacted and it took 8 hours to do it. The site is set up in such a way you have to manually click on all the links.

You can buy a CD off ebay with the manual.

Reply to
null

Hmm, well, 20 an hour is not a problem. I will have them all before the 72 hours is up. I plan to get all the files for the '96 Impreza and then maybe make my own CD.

Reply to
oothlagre

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I got one for the WRX, on eBay...typically $10-15 on the auction, and this guy charged $12 or so for shipping...a Japanese guy up in Canada. Unfortunately, tho he titled it as a WRX set, he left one large "Mechanical" (engine) section for the WRX off it...the RS and STi sections were complete. He also took more than a month to send it (I pay-pal'd it within hours of completion), and never responded to any emails; it was only mailed after I contacted both eBay & Paypal about non-receipt of goods. He also changed his eBay nick after that, and presumably his Yahoo email (which came back as "over quota").

Steve

Reply to
CompUser