Replacing hoses & belts in my `01 OBW.

I'm curious as to how hard it is and what tools are needed to replace radio hoses and other needed hoses/belts in my OBW? It's not critical to do now, but I may want to attempt that later this fall if I have free time. The dealership wanted to rape my wallet of $450 for that. Suggesting that they are so old eveything could fail and I could crash etc. While I understand they've been in there now since the car was new (some have been replaced by the previous owner) I would rather enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling of doing it myself at minimal cost of parts.

Is this something in the Chilton/haynes manuals? Or is it a no-brainer job? Or is it an experts only job?

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Pop-N-Fresh

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Nope, no timing belt included in that. The only thing that was specificied when I pressed the service manager to break down the costs was just radiator (whoops, didn't mean to type radio - heh) hoses, belts. He said replacing the one radiator hose that has a pinhole leak would run $89.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I'm definately doing what I can to not use them. See the above thread entitled "Replacing timing belt on `01 OBW" where the former service manager has offered to perform the major 90k mile service for me at a much discounted rate. For now though for smaller quickie things like oil changes and multipoint inspection I do use the dealership because for under $30 it's worth it in my time. Plus their over-exaggeration of problems I have can give me an idea of what does need to be replaced/fixed in the next year or so. So I like to think for now, while I use them for something small as oil changes, I am not using them for large and outlandish services.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

None taken, and I wholeheartedly agree. That's why I figured that they were exaggerating the seriousness of the leak (if there is one - I'll be getting a second opinion soon) but do take it with a grain of salt to at least investigate on my own to see if there is any credibility to any of their repair claims.

Reply to
Bradley Walker