Question re grounding of speedometer - 99 OBW

The speedo in my 99 OBW has been working intermittently for some time now. Initial suggestions that I received involved replacing the speedo sending unit (about $300 parts and labor).

I read something more recently suggesting it could be a loose ground wire, which would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Any suggestions on where the related ground wire(s) is found? Would finding it involve taking the dash apart? I'd like to try to fix it myself before taking it in. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Reply to
lkreh

I am having the same problem with my 99 OBW. I have not started to diagnose it yet but it goes out without any obvious reason, the odometer stops at the same time but the cruise control still works. I will let you know what I find on mine.

Brett Williams

Reply to
Brett W

I wound up replacing the gauge cluster in my OBW yesterday and that seems to have taken care of the problem. I found a used gauge cluster for $80 from a salvage yard. Tilt steering wheel all the way down. Remove four screws holding the outer dash trim and four more holding the gauge cluster. Remove the wires from the three switches and the security light on the dash trim and then remove the trim. Remove the two metal bands on the top of the cluster to provide a little extra clearance. Carefully maneuver the cluster out to the right after removing the four groups of wires plugged into the back of the cluster. (Optionally, you can remove the lower panel under the steering column and remove the nuts that hold the steering column. This will give you a lot of room to remove the cluster.) When you reach the point that you are hung up on the larger section on the back of the cluster, pull hard, out and down on the steering wheel while easing the cluster out. Replace in opposite order.

Good luck

Brett W

"lkreh" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to