Replacing Keyless Entry Receiver

Have a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon and the Keyless Entry is giving us problems.
One remote "fob" works: both locks and unlocks the car.
The second fob, with a new battery, will unlock but not lock the car.
Do we have to go back to the dealer and get ripped off for a new fob or is there any alternative???
Would it be possible to get an after market system and replace the dealer-installed one entirely?
Many thanks, Carl
Carl wrote:

Perhaps it needs to be 'retrained' to the car's receiver. Dig around at www.cars101.com for instructions.
Carl
It is possible to get an aftermarket system. I installed one on my 95 legacy when the autolocks stopped working. It never had a fob though. The unit in the dash died that controlled the power locks that operated off of the drivers door. I got the whole kit from JC Whitney for around 50 bucks with shipping included. I had to be creative since I was replacing a part that would normally still be operational on most installs, so I had to use two extra relays, but you should be able to simply install it like it is assuming that you have some way of operating the power locks from inside the vehicle.
Bill