Road noise

I don't know.

Maybe four wheel drive puts some additional stress on bearings and that is why they tend not to last in Subaru's. I can't see how that could be but I am not a mechanic.

When I first test drove a Subaru I noticed a very slight, almost imperceivable jerkiness on road imperfections. Did not even realize at first what it was, only later. It is known to be related to four wheel drive, more specifically to how shifts in torque occur between front and rear axles (in cars that have the variable torque distribition feature with automatic transmissions. Manual tranny's are 50/50 front/rear fixed, i believe).

I suspect this may have something to do with wheel bearing wear, but honestly don't know.

I've just become resigned to this issue, and treat it as normal wear given my higher speed, up/down mountainous, heavy cornering driving. There's plenty of minor road imperfections where I drive too.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

I just looked at my local dealer's on line inventory and saw no '19's there. Ascent is supposed to be there but it just says to call them as none are listed in inventory. When I bought my Forester 2 years ago I found it in the inventory before I want in. Asked for it, test drove and bought it. I noticed he has over 60 2018 Foresters so may not be in a hurry to sell the '19's.

Reply to
Frank

cameo wrote:

As far as I know (which isn't godly despite how arrogant I may appear), Subies don't have the stop-start driving mode ... yet, well, that's in my region. They might be forced to add it if cities/states get more rigorous on their emissions since the stop-start mode reduces emissions a lot as it allow the car makers to game the MPG calculations under driving conditions you will never encounter. All that time idling (going nowhere) just pukes out fumes while providing zero MPG, so, yeah, they figured why the hell not turn off the engine, and it's "f*ck you" if you don't like the behavior.

I just did an online search on "subaru stop start drive mode" and found:

Click on the "Auto Stop Start" tab. I clicked on the More link but Subaru doesn't list which models have it or in which models the driving mode is planned.

Dated 2016-Sep-19. Shows the Impreza. Whether the feature is available in your region depends on how Subaru decides to market it. I've read the 2019 Forester is going to have the auto stop-start system.
"An updated 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with direct fuel injection and automatic stop/start technology is standard for the 2019 Forester." I a forum, a guy claimed that if towing a trailer that the auto stop-start system is disabled. That is, you don't have to keep turning it back off when you next turn on your car for its next trip. His idea was to create a dummy trailer plug that had sufficient load to represent what a trailer would draw (lights, electric brakes). Another mentioned there is a reed switch in the cover flap of the trailer plug: when the flap is open then the reed switch opens figuring a plug has been inserted from a trailer, so snip the reed switch or prop open the flap (which leave it open to corrosion when not in use) to keep the reed switch in the open state. I don't have a Subie with auto stop-start to test out the suggestions. Also, cars can be retrofitted with remote starters. Well, if the car is going to automatically stop (shut off the engine) because it is sitting idle then how would remote starters work if the engine doesn't keep running to warm it up so the car is ready for your comfort upon later entry. There must be some workaround. Maybe it's just a fuse you have to pull.

One user responded that the starter is beefier or somehow designed to handle all the extra starting when auto stop-start mode is active and when it has to perform a lot (city driving or grid-locked rush-hour highway). However, I can't see how the starters yet available can handle more than 50 times the number of starts per day than does the standard starter. It's a huge change in number of starts.

That says No to the question of start-stop starters wearing out faster. I don't how prevalent are auto stop-start systems in American cars (whether they claim to be American or are just assembled in America or get shipped there). I suspect we have to wait another 10 years before sufficient data accumulates to know for sure, or until the auto makers are forced to release repair logs. While the article mentions how to preserve the life of the starter's motor, it made no mention that somehow the flywheel with its teeth or the mesh gear on the starter have been made of harder (but not more brittle) metal to endure to extra wear due to tons of lot more starts. The starter system is more than just the windings for the motor and its bushing and brushes.

Here's that funny guy again talking about auto stop-start systems:

(go to timemark 5:40 where he lambasts Subaru for lack of an off switch)

Reply to
VanguardLH

I am interested buying one in August or September.

Reply to
cameo
[unneeded quotage deleted]

The latest issue of Drive magazine said "Summer" for the Ascent.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

I would imagine all the '19's would be available by then. Don't know what options you want or what kind of deal you are getting but in my personal situation I would like the Eye Sight system without things like a sun roof that you need to get it as an option.

Reply to
Frank

We have a family friend at SOA who puts a lot of advanced stuff on his Facebook page. Subaru also has a page where these things might be seen sooner.

Reply to
Frank

The Subaru website has full details about the Ascent now, including the ability to configure one to your wishes. There just aren't any in showrooms yet.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

:))) Yes you remember corectly. Back in 1989 when I first visited the area it was Jeeps, AMC Eagles, and Subaru's. There weren't any other 4 wheel drive offerings. Ford Bronco with optional 4 wheel drive, I think, something from GMC (?) I forget. SUV's were almost non-existent then.

Haven't seen many Suzuki Samurai's. It was very popular in Arizona at the time.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst