Saunders Subaru, Victoria B. C. Canada

I took our 2002 Outback Sport into the dealer for it's 24,000 km service. I believed they would follow the official Subaru schedule of maintenance but specified no oil change, as I do those myself. Imajine my surprise, when it was time to pick up the car, to discover the dealer had charged me in addition to $4.50 shop supplies, $3 washer fluid and $18.50 . for 'a tune up kit', which turned out to be a fuel additive and for spark plugs as well. Those items are not included in the Subaru Maintenance book. . I would have liked to have first been given the opportunity, to either accept or reject those "extras", before the work was performed. Had I been given that opportunity, I would have definately rejected the washer fluid and fuel additive. I would like to have other views on the subject.

Reply to
ALEX MacGILLIVRAY

"ALEX MacGILLIVRAY" wrote

I'm not sure about BC, but in Ontario, the law states they cannot do anything other than what is on the work order without your authorization.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

I believe you should have discussed and then had written on the work order exactly what services were going to be performed. My Subaru dealer has their own list of things they do for any particular service, and it is always longer than the items specified in my owners manual. Each time I went there I needed to tell them exactly what I wanted done. if you just say "24,000 km service" they are free to define it any way they want.

Does the dealer have a list of *their* 24000 km service items posted? My dealer did and that gave me the option to reject their extra items. If they have no such list, you might want to contact Subaru and at least file a complaint.

-- Vic Roberts

Reply to
Victor Roberts

my dealer doesn't charge for topping up fluids neither did my vancouver dealer when i was living there

Reply to
chuckles

I don't know about the plugs, we only change them at 48K intervals. That seems a little early. You should have been given a breakdown of what was to be repaired and been able to omit items as you saw fit. $3 for washer fluid also seems excessive. We buy ours in bulk and I don't know the exact price but I'm sure it's less than $3. I'd have a chat with the service manager. I know there's no other option for dealer service in Victoria so hopefully you can make it right.

Reply to
JCee

Any possibility of seeing the original post here??

Thanks

Reply to
jgwehner