Service estimate $2800+???

Hi All,

I have a great 2000 Subaru Outback, and I need service - but do I need as much as my shop (which is also dealer shop) is telling me?!

If your knowledgeable and kind enough and interested in Subarus enough, could you advise me line by line on this estimate? I'm leaving out things like timing belt that I *know* I have to do...

The D level 106k service is 449.95

- IS THIS ECONOMICAL IF I CAN REPLACE MY OWN AIR FILTERS AND PLUGS? WHAT ELSE DOES IT HAVE THAT IS *MUST-PAY-FOR*?

Power steering lines are leaking-288.00 (parts are 4 days away, must be ordered)

- $288? REALLY? DOES THAT SOUND OUT OF SCALE? CAN THIS BE DONE BY INDEPENDENT MECHANIC AND WOULD THAT BE CHEAPER?

Steering Rack boots are cracked-419.00 (not including alignment)

- AGAIN, CAN IT BE DONE BY INDEPENDENT MECHANIC AND CHEAPER?

Right side CVJ boot leaking grease-360.00 for right side axle boot replacement (this is recommended to save the axle before replacement necessary due to axle grinding, you have had the doj boots done this is the outside boots.)

- AND AGAIN, INDEPENDENT AND CHEAPER?

Front sway bar bushings are worn and clunking (these are rubber bushings which cushion the suspension system)-135.00

- THIS ONE IS PROBABLY LEGIT, ACTUALLY, BUT OTHER OPINIONS?

Thanks in advance, John

Reply to
Ben Wise

The 105k service should include a timing belt change. If timing belt is included in this price 449$ then it is an excellent deal. Recently a dealer near me (Auburn, California) advertised a 385$ timing belt only job.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

Well, there may be things you can 'put off' if you need to. And you likely have one or more indie mechs that could do the work - but it may only be cheaper if their labor rate is lower. You could possibly save a little money by either buying the parts from a discount on-line dealer or at least asking the shop to match on-line parts prices. I've had good luck with Jamie at

but there are others.

I would prioritize stuff with the TB change at the top of the list. And don't cheap out on it, replace everything in there that turns - water pump, idler, tensioner, etc. maybe rebuild the oil pump too.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The filter and spark plug wires are esily changed. Just use dielectric grease in the boots. The plugs can be a real bear to change on this engine. I won't try it if no experience.

Been driving for 40 some years and have yet to have a power steering hose fail on me. Probably just a leaking gasket. $300 will buy a lot of power steering fluid. Just about anyone can replace the hoses if you insist on going with new hoses.

Rack is again easily replaced. But I would not spend $419 to just replace two dust boots. If the car steers just fine, don't worry about those boots.

Boots are about $20/per. So labor comes to $340. Fairly easy job to replace just the boots if you have the tools and experience. I do it all the time in my driveway. a new remanufactured CV axle probably costs around $100.

Probably looking at $100 here for just labor. Good money to just remove 4 bolts.

Reply to
johninky

Hi, Rubber bushing is no good. Teflon bushing is much better.

Reply to
Tony Hwang