Engine light on 98 Accord LX with 74,000 miles??

I just changed the oil at the local mechanic about 2600 miles ago. The local Honda dealership advised changing the timing belt as recommened by the manual at 90,000 miles plus due the water pump because they are interconnected. I had CV boot plus recall stuff done at the dealer about 3,000 miles back.

Any ideas why I am getting the light? It came on with 1/2 mile of arriving at work this morning.

Reply to
Reg Martin

There are a number of "codes," corresponding to various component malfunctions, that will cause the Check Engine Light to go off. Autozone will read these codes for free. You might want to start there, then report back.

miles ago. The

recommened

because they are

the dealer

mile of

Reply to
Elle

---------------------------------

Did you happen to refill / overfill with gas the night before? Have you checked that the gas cap is tight / straight / not damaged by dropping? Your owner's manual explains some of this stuff.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

I will double check. I did get gas. I will tighetn the cap. I did not overfill.

My friend at work said he got bad gas once. Took the car to the dealership (I think he had a Ford) and they said you probably have bad gas.

Thanks.

Reply to
Reg Martin

had CV boot plus recall stuff done at the dealer

What was wrong with the CV boot?

Reply to
butch burton

I took it to the local oil change mechanic shop for other work and they said I had a bad boot. So when I did the recall I had them replace it. I do not trust the local mechanic shop. I would not be suprised if they cut it. I really needed a lift or good jack for me to check it myself.

Reply to
Reg Martin

Boot cutting is done - my 97's boots are still fine - which is why I wondered what happened to yours. Is this a franchise oil change place or an independent thief.

Reply to
butch burton

Actually it is a high volume auto repair place. The guy running it has about a $4 million house on the water. I heard he had family money but they rake it in and upsell all the time. I think they probably did something. I and very careful and don't drive off road or do stupid stuff.

Reply to
Reg Martin

Whenever someone says something is wrong, look at it yourself. Some boots split on there own, others catch something on the road, and perhaps it could have been cut. If it had been cut recently, then NO grease would have been sprayed around the backing plate and wheel well. A normal split would show cracks at other areas of the boot. The boot can tell a story.

Reply to
Stephen H