Shift Modulator Valve 87 GL

I did my first 1,000 mi. fluid level check and the trans fluid level didn't touch the dip stick. The engine oil was about 1/4 qt. low. I added the trans fluid and went for a spin. The 1.8 ci stopped laying rubber but when I checked the fluids again the engine oil was over full.

I was told if the shift modulator valve wasn't working I would have fluid in my vacuum line; I had a small amount. I was also told that the vacuum line would draw the fluid from the trans to the engine; It seems so.

QUESTION: Can I drive the vehicle the 40-50 miles to get the modulator valve and does the valve turn out by hand?

The Subaru dealer wants $49.18 for the valve but I read one post here that NAPA has them for $14.00. It's too early to call for parts but I am desperate for answers and I keep getting mixed messages from mechanics and parts stores. The closest parts store says it is unavailable and garages say they don't think this vehicle has one.

BACK TO QUESTION: Can I drive the vehicle the 40-50 miles to get the modulator valve and does the valve turn out by hand?

Thanks from a broken down old man with a broken down vehicle. Fuzz

Reply to
fuzz

This model does have one. Still working to some degree because you didn't complain about no shifts. When it completely fails the transmission will not upshift. 1st gear and reverse only. I would make the trip. Just check the ATF level a time or two enroute. Think you'll need vicegrips to remove the modulator. Just get under the car and see what it will take. May get by with just using a wrench. Been years since I've replaced one.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks johninKY but what will happen to the engine if the fluid level goes any higher?

Reply to
fuzz

A leaking modulator will not produce higher engine oil levels. What happens is the ATF gets sucked into the intake manifold and gets burned in the cylinders producing a huge cloud of white smoke at the exhaust.

Just drain the excess engine oil.

Reply to
johninKY