Sluggish Outback 2000

My local mechanic, who has a very good reputation, and the Subaru dealer that we occasionally go to for service are in total disagreement about why my Subaru Outback wagon (2000) is acting sluggishly.

The local guy says that at least one of the catalytic converters is clogged. He believes this is true because none of his other diagnostic tests yielded other causes, AND, because the car ran fine when he pulled the O2 sensor (which he of course put back on). He said he could replace it for about $800- $900, but that because the converter is covered under the 8 yr/80,000 mile rule, I should get it replace by a dealer. He even called the dealer to talk to them and offered to send documentation, but the dealer didn't want to hear anything about it -- said they'd have to diagnose it.

So I took it to the Subaru dealer, who said that none of the computer codes that would indicate a catalytic converter problem are coming up. He also said that "someone" (read: local mechanic) did not close the airbox correctly, which would be the cause of the sluggishness. The dealer also said that they involved a supervisor and compared my car to another one, and could find nothing else wrong (well, the one wheel bearing could be replaced, they said, but that's another matter).

By the way, exactly one year ago the "check engine" light was coming on. Took car to the dealer, who replaced the O2 sensor.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Could the sluggishness be explained totally by the airbox not being totally closed? 2) Does my local mechanic know what he's talking about or not? 3) Is the dealer trying to get out of replacing the catalytic converter for free? 4) Do I return to either for future service?

For now, I'm on my way to pick up the car at the Dealer's, drive it to see if it is still sluggish, then I'm taking it to my local guy to look at the wheel bearing. Yes, I distrust dealers (past experience), plus the dealer is not conveniently located. Wish me luck as we set out on our 1600-mile road trip next week!

Reply to
Shelley G via CarKB.com

Wait, O2 sensor out, works. O2 sensor in, doesn't work. ?

That doesn't imply something to you?

Those sensors are buggy crap (just read the archives here to find out how often they are replaced) and cheap.

Your mech wants to do an expensive job when someone (the dealer) says otherwise. You could just make this easy and get the new HDTV for him yourself.

The O2 sensors are used by the ECU to control engine and other functions. If the sensor is giving bad data to the ECU it won't work right.

If the cat-converter was clogged, it wouldnt run right EVER.

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

I appreciate the advice, yet I feel the need to clarify some previous points:

- The local mechanic isn't actually trying to get me to pay him to do the work. He knows it's under warranty and said that Subaru should repair it. He also isn't pulling any scare tactics like saying I should get it fixed or else. He's just frustrated that no one believes his diagnosis, and I'm frustrated with trying to decide which "expert" to believe.

- He says that he pulled the O2 sensor out to relieve the pressure back-up. Clearly I know next to nothing about how this all works, but if the 02 sensor were bad, wouldn't the Subaru dealer have discovered that? (They did, in fact, replace it last year)

At this point, we're just driving it and hoping it doesn't leave us stranded in the middle of nowhere when we take our trip next week! I haven't been able to determine whether Subaru's shutting of the airbox did fix the sluggishness, as they said it did. My husband drives this car every day, so he will have to let me know.

Sparky Polastri wrote:

Reply to
Shelley G via CarKB.com

I would have waited until AFTER I picked up the car from the dealer, with the airbox correctly closed, before posting these questions.

Reply to
l.lichtman

And your response is helpful....how?

I was try>I would have waited until AFTER I picked up the car from the dealer,

Reply to
Shelley G via CarKB.com

Helpful? Maybe in the fact that I was trying to clarify the logic of your post. You raised a number of valid questions, which would be resolved if the reassembly of the airbox made the care run well. You were going to pick up the car, so you were about to find out. My comment was, essentially, "why struggle with these questions BEFORE the last piece of the puzzle is in?

BTW, did the airbox repair fix it?

Reply to
l.lichtman