gasoline smell

I am trying to isolate the source of a strong gasoline smell for a 88 Mercury Tracer, 1.6L engine. It is my sister-in-law's car. She has had the gas tank removed and inspected. I have inspected the engine and fuel lines beneath the car. We are both exasperated at this point. With the windows rolled up and standing still it does not smell. However, once moving forward at 40mph or so, when either window is cracked the smell comes in.

I speculated the smell was being drawn in from beneath the car because of lowered air pressure with the window down. Upon removing the back seat and taking off the plate which covers the fuel pump, there is a raw gasoline smell. The fumes are probably able to rise unencumbered without the plate and seat.

Hoses going to the fuel tank were inspected by the guy who removed the tank. The fuel pump was not removed to inspect the gasket. The source seems to be right there where the fuel pump is. No leaks are evident, though. There may be a leak at the front of the car, and fumes could be traveling back, but I don't think that's what it is.

Is this a venting problem? A leak? Any ideas would be appreciated. She needs to drive home and doesn't want to go 'til we find the problem. Thanks

--

David McDivitt

So you had a mechanic look at the problem and they could not find it? Well what do you expect we/internet can do for you? We can't smell the gas, so don't worry about it.

If you want "me" to help you, bring the car to my house (Chicago area, drive me around and let me "smell" the gas, maybe I can help you out. (I charge $125/hr, my Computer rate, sorry but I don't have a "Car repair" rate.) If I can't smell gas or I can't fix it, you can just buy me lunch and we'll call it "even".

To put it another way, you're going to the Wrong "shop" if they can't smell a gas leak.

-- PapaRick

David McDivitt wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Was the canister/evap system checked? I'd look there.

Some shops have machines which will inject smoke into the system. They can then visually look for any leaks.

Also, is your car running properly? The odor could be coming from the tailpipe.

Reply to
hyundaitech