spark plugs

4 cyl 2.2 L. motor in both my Impreza and Legacy. I have NGK plugs in there now. It seems that the NGK's lose their gap after only 12000 miles. If that's the case then they have to go. What's the best plug to use as far as holding the gap and performance? The books all call for NGK, Champion or Nippondinsu. Thanks
Reply to
mbjj

I've just replaced spark plugs in my Outback '97. I decided to go with Bosh Platinum 4. They do not require re-gap ever (according to their advertisement). But if you don't mind to spend 40-50$ instead of 10-15$, you can get Iridium Spark Plugs. They seems to be good and not to burn out so fast as regular cupper plugs.

Reply to
Guest

My 98 OBW had ND platinum in it from the factory. I changed them at 90,000. Replaced them with same platinum ND's but traded the car in at 105,000. Can't ask for better life then that. What makes you think your plugs "lose their gap"?

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I set them when I put them in at .040. I started to notice poor gas mileage so I checked them again after 12000 miles. The gap was all the way to .053. Speck calls for .039 to .044. Every plug was different and they all were beyond range.

Reply to
mbjj

When I checked them out in my book it did strike me as being too hot. They were more white than brown. I'm using the standard NGK plug that speck calls for. I thought about going to a colder one but which one?

Reply to
mbjj

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Ryan

Plugs are just one part of it. Change your wires and make sure you have a clean air filter. They all go hand in hand. My situation is beginning to look like the spec NGK plug is too hot. They are not burning a nice coffee brown like they should. [maybe a touch lighter, it depends on if you use cream or not] Mine are almost white so that tells me I need another plug. Your question is the same one I asked in this session. I'm still looking, but I know it isn't an NGK BKR6E-11 which is what the book calls for. The other 2 listed is champion RC7YC4 [I never had a champion with staying power, 30-40,000 at the most], and the Nippondenso K20PR-U11. Maybe a Bosch this time. At any rate I'll check them in a month or 2 and switch up then.

Reply to
mbjj

Reply to
mbjj

How's this sound: NGK plugs are considered a performance plug and are designed to burn hotter. They also have a short life 10-20000 miles. If this is correct then they are performing as designed.

Reply to
mbjj

Reply to
Ryan