squeezing sound in a sharp turn

Hi, Recently, my outback 2000 is giving a pretty loud squeezing sound when I do a sharp turn. The problem is worst when the car is just started, and there is no sound once it warms up. I am going to a mechanic soon. I really don't know much about cars and I would like to have an idea of what the problem could be in advance. Thanks.

Reply to
akyunt

Squealing?

There's a lot of load on the power steering hydraulics when the wheels are racked hard one way or the other. This load could be causing slipping of a belt somewhere. As the belt heats up, it adheres to pulleys better and that could be why the noise goes away. Or the hydraulic fluid gets warmer and less viscous.

Another source of a noise in sharp turns would be low tire pressure and tire squeal.

No idea if either of these apply based on your description, but I'd put them in the realm of possibility when the mechanic gives you a diagnosis.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thanks for your reply. The steering fluid is not low as it was checked during the last oil change. I remember the mechanic changed a belt in the last tune-up. It could be the belt was not put very well. I forgot to mention that when I turn on the AC as soon as the car is started, the noise gets substantially louder even without turning the steering wheel. So, I believe your suggestion is right and probably the AC belt is slipping.

Reply to
akyunt