Stability control

I'm trying to decide between the Honda CR-V and the Forester and would appreciate your thoughts. Is the lack of stability control system on the Subara significant since it is a lower vehicle?

Reply to
Ron Jones

the CR-V doesn't have real all wheel drive - i think they call it "real time 4wd" or some crap like that. basically it's a front wheel drive vehicle that goes into 4wd mode when it detects slip (i don't know what criteria it uses to go back to fwd, but i do know you don't have control over it). with subaru, you have a real full time all wheel drive system. why do i say this? my theory is that it's better to avoid a problem than try to correct it. with the CR-V you have to wait until you have a problem before the awd turns on, and then if you're still having problems the stability control will try to fix it more. with a subaru (or audi quattro, jeep quadratrac, i don't know of any other systems that are full time real awd) you have a lower probability of getting into a problem because the torque from the motor is always being split up 4 ways rather than 2. also, in general i've never been too impressed with any of the stability control systems, i always notice a problem way before the system reacts to it. there is no stability control system that can anticipate what's happening, it has to wait for something bad to happen before it can respond.

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

I think more importantly that the lack of a stability control system is insignificant not because of the profile but because of the all the time.. AWD. There is a pretty big difference between having a car suddenly engage the rear wheels when it detects a problem and having a car engaging all the wheels all the time. If having the second set of wheels engage to correct for slippage is a good idea than isn't a better idea not to experience the slippage to begin with? I sometimes wonder if the stability control isn't meant to help the 2wd to 4wd transition more than for anything else.

AG

Reply to
AguaGirl

For a person who is a driver I don't feel I'd go for stability control.

I understand SC cuts engine power as well as playing with the brakes. When I'm in trouble sliding on snow with my FWD cars I've occasionally recovered by applying power.

This driving technique "may be difficult" to do with SC.

Reply to
Spam Hater