Alloy wheels for winter: "Sport Edition"?

It's time to buy wheels and winter tires. The current plan is a set of 195/55-15 Michelin PA2's on 6 or 6.5" wheels. I'm thinking about splurging on some alloy wheels this time around, but the selection in 6-6.5 is limited. [The only 6" ones are gray or black.]

One of the low-end brands TireRack carries is "Sport Edition". I've never heard of them, and google can't find them anywhere else. I've been buying from TireRack for quite a while, and they've always seemed trustworthy -- I don't think they's sell crap, but I'm a bit wary of "House" brands.

It's also a bit weird that TR's web site doesn't provide any spec's at all on wheels, and you can't even search by size.

Has anybody had any experience with "Sport Edition" wheels?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Give Tire Rack a call and ask.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Don't forget about the wheel weight issue. What about buying a used set of miata alloys? They are pretty reasonable, and they've been consistantly light weight.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You may want to look at Centerline wheels. They are very light and the price is pretty good.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I've warped alloy wheels in the winter hitting potholes that were invisible with snow/ice. Steel wheels handle that stuff much better and they are much cheaper.

Reply to
Scott Streeter

Yup. I've dented allys in the summer (when it's easier to avoid the potholes). Using alloy wheels in the winter probably doesn't demonstrate much practicality -- but I've never been accused of being practical.

Reply to
Grant Edwards