Subaru VDC

I have noticed that Subaru and several other AWD manufactures offer stability control that seems to work only with leather seats (they don't put it in cars without leather seats).

I am not an engineer and don't understand the details of implementing stability control but perhaps someone could explain the integration of leather and certain types of stability control. If leather is necessary for optimal operation of stability control would it be possible just to wrap the controller unit in a leather case or perhaps "spoof" the stability control computer with a signal that mimics that given out by the leather seats?

I guess that there is a fix in the works since it appears that stability control will be mandated on 2012 model year and after.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

Evidently, sunroofs, H6 engines, heated mirrors and such only work with leather seats also.

It's just the way Subaru stacks their option/trimline packages.

Reply to
nobody >

Simple demographics. Subaru has apparently determined that people who get leather seats have a harder time keeping their cars under control.

I've noticed also that people who drive a stickshift have a better sense of direction, and therefore don't need a navigation system.

Reply to
Nick Danger

Yeah, and that pissed off my mother, who wanted the leather seats, but not the sunroof or H6 engine. She's happy with her Xi, though.

Reply to
KLS

The car incorporates a "Sniffer" and can smell the leather. To get the system to work without leather you simply eat a lot of BEEF jerky and simply fart. The Light on the dash will illuminate and the control will become active until you turn the key off.

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

LMAO--great post Howard. Brilliant understated delivery. :-)

Yeah, the H6 part is what frosts my ass. The incremental cost on a better engine on teh base outback shouldn't be $5000 or whatever it is, but alas it seems to be steep.

I suspect Howard was well aware of that and lampooning it--rather keenly I might add. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Some folks in the south and west who may not want leather will arrange to swap out seats with folks who want the leather. I've seen listings at NASIOC for deals like that on 2-3 occasions.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm still waiting for such a deal to show up: anyone want cloth seats from a 2005 OBW in exchange for leather seats?

Reply to
KLS

In addition to

and
you could try craigslist for you area too. Even let your dealership know - they may have a customer that wants to swap. Also, there could be issues with seat heaters/adjustments - dunno about that. It could be tricky to arrange unless you live in an area with a lot of soobs.Many places have as many in one block as we have in a zipcode around here! Do be careful about trying to remove the seats yourself (airbags might deploy) or using just ANY cloth covers however if your car is equipped with side airbags - they probably exit from the seat back if they are like my '06 WRX wagon.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

why not see if you can get leather or vinyl upholstery if that is good enough, for the seats. Can always try a junk/salvage yard. A friend got like new leather seats for an Accura, to replace his that were ripped up, for 150$. What does the option with leather cost?

I'm going extreme, and gona try to install Recaro seats out of an 85' Mustang SVO that I always wanted, In an 07' Impreza I hope to get tomorrow. They have every adjustment possible to fit like a glove. They have lumbar, adjustable thigh side, and front edge seat extensions. I don't want the front airbags but the side ones may be desirable, so will have to see if they can be swapped. Cost me 250$ with shipping. I got the cloth ones but there have been nice leather ones. Similar aftermarket Recaro' start around 1K$ ea. Ones like mine star at 1500ea.

VF

Reply to
houndman

They only implement this in cars that have seat materials that let your @$$ slide all over the place.

They don't include this in cloth seated cars because they figure your hemmariods are firmly rooted in the cloth! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Two most excellent observations!

But I add a third. It has to do woth the amount of money one spends on a car. I mean, have you ever paid attention to the driving habits of BMW and Mercedes owners?

Reply to
Hachiroku

the Forester XT 2.5 has VDC with the AT but does not require or offer leather seats..

Reply to
al nakba