Subie Newbie

Hello Everyone: My wife is in the market for a small 4wd.(She needs a vehicle she can enter easily as she has a bad back.) Over the last few days we have narrowed it down to a 2002 Outback H6-3.0 VDC Sedan. This vehicle was driven by the dealership owner and has 12k on it. It is in showroom condition and is being sold as a demo for $32K Canadian. Apparently they were 42K New. I am told the 94's do not have VDC. Can anyone advise me if this is a good buy and if there are any problems I should know about.

Bill Spears

Reply to
user

Ed Rachner

But then your car has a lower bluebook the instant the model year changes over, so is $350 under invoice also under the current bluebook?

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Koller

High test gas (i.e., premium, 91 octane) isn't as expensive as it may seem. Let's say you drive 12,000 miles a year, regular gas is $1.50 per gallon, premium is $1.70, your overall gas mileage is 20 MPG. You'd need 750 gallons of gas per year (15,000/20). So, that much regular will cost you $1,125 (750 x $1.50), and the same amount of premium is $1,275. So, that's a grand total of $150 more per year for premium; or $12.50 more per month; or $2.88 more per week. Give up just one coffee at Starbucks per week, and you can afford to burn premium. (Besides, ever figure what you pay per gallon for Starbucks?!).

I realize the examples above are based on assumptions that may or may not hold true, and YMMV. Further, if you can't afford an extra $150 per year, then you just can't. But the big point is (obviously): a car that requires premium gas isn't all "that" much more expensive to operate, and a premium requirement alone isn't a big enough deal to warrant eliminating a car from consideration.

And, no, I don't have any connection to an oil company!

Hal

Reply to
H. Whelply

Also, you may very well get HIGHER MILEAGE which will offset (though doubtful cancel) the difference.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

H. Whelply wrote:

Reply to