Testing a code reader

Would the easiest way to test a code reader on an Outback be to simply loosen the gas cap, which should trigger the "Check Engine" light? I read that even if you do this by accident, the light will reset after you tighten the gas cap and after about 10 engine restarts.

tia

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

You wouldn't get the code right away, it would only come on after some driving. But you shouldn't have to set any codes, as long as you can plug the reader into the port and see that it is communicating with the ECU that will tell you it's ok. Depending on the particular unit it should give some indication that it has successfully connected and found no codes.

Reply to
mulder

I read somewhere, that Check Engine Light goes on when ECU detects the same error 2 or 3 times in the row (sometimes it's at engine starts, sometimes it's at period of time). And that for some "not important" errors, ECU may turn CEL off, after about 10 engine (ECU) restarts. Just think logically - you have a lose gas cap, it brings your CEL on. You determined it one, twice, and then you get used to it and do not turn it off right away. What if serious problem comes up, but your CEL is already ON and you will not know about it?

Good luck,

Mike

CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

After it would not connect I e-mailed the company who told me how to reset the unit. After that it seemed to operate as shown in the manual and then came back with message stating that the codes had been cleared. This makes sense as it was just in the shop to have the throttle sensor replaced, which was causing the light to come on.. I think it's working okay, and I'm just going to keep it in the car. It's pretty small.

Reply to
Sheldon

Well, if the light came on I was going to check it right away and then clear the code to turn the light off, but I get your point. It was never my intention to drive the car around with a lit CEL, just check the reader using a non serious problem that would light the lamp.

Reply to
Sheldon

Pull a plug wire you will get a misfire code.

Reply to
calhoun

Sounds easy enough. :-)

Reply to
Sheldon

each code can have different setting and clearing standards. Loost gas cap might go off after 1 ignition cycle. Engine related codes may go away after a few hundred. Especially stuff like O2.

But just because the light is off does not mean there are no stored codes. And just because you clear the codes does not mean the light will go off. Especially if there is an active fault.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Be sure to ground the plug wire you pull, though. Dunno about the Subaru, but Honda products especially will zap the coil if run with an open ignition lead.

Mike - the voice of sad experience.

Reply to
Michael Pardee