2003 Corolla (Belt Replacement)

I have 58K on my 2003 Corolla. I'm preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, and didn't know if I should replace all the belts on the car, prior to my departure....or, is the life expectancy on the belts closer to 75K or 100K miles.

Any insight is appreciated.

John

Reply to
John-USN

There is one serpentine belt to replace. Do a visual inspection of the belt and look for cracks, checking, and any abnormal wear. The other component to check is the belt tensioner. Check the pulley, spring, and bearing. If it looks good, go for another ten thousand miles and re inspect. If you are concerned, replace it, belts cost about thirty dollars for the part, and less than a half hour labor. Additional costs if the tensioner needs replacement, and I would advise you to buy the Toyota tensioner, not an after market. Thanks for your service to our country.

Reply to
user

John - I had my s-belt replaced on my '03 corolla right @ 60K miles; i inspected it and found plenty od microscopic crancks on the inside of the belt; i bought toyota s-belt and had a shop install it for ca. $

30 labor ( plus $ 28 part); i keep the old belt in my trunk ( just in case) Thank you for your sacrifice - God bless America kd
Reply to
duszkiew

where are you? what do they look like? any noises, slippage, warnings? bet you can get a good idea and diagnose them.

Reply to
someone

I believe that the only belt in the 2003 Corolla is the single serpentine accessory drive belt. The engine has a timing chain that does not need routine replacement. The factory recommended service interval for the accessory drive belt is initial inspection at 60K and every 15,000 miles thereafter. Typical life expectancy on the accessory drive belt is easily

75 K, probably closer to 90 K miles.

Thank you for your service to our country!

Reply to
Ray O

Forget the belt. How about some armor?

Seriously, good luck over there.