tires leaking?

I've got a 98 Outback and I'm having a continual problem with the tires having a slow leak. It's all 4 of them and they do it at random times. I've had the wheels cleaned, valve stems replaced (that seemed to stop the problem for about a month) but I can't stop them from losing air from time to time and for no apparent reason. Any insight? Thanks, Drew

Reply to
DP

  1. How old are they? If they are factory original, it's time to get some new ones.
  2. Check the valve stem. Just put some soapy water in the stem and around where it mates with the wheel.
  3. Take them off and dunk them. Any good tire shop can do this. This will tell you if it's the bead seal or a nail causing a slow leak.

Others have posted about corrosion and scale causing the tire to leak at the bead. I've not seen this, but my car doesn't have to deal with salted roads either.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

It's always possible that some prankster is periodically letting the air out of your tires, just to jerk your chain.

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

Not original equip. Car is approaching 100,000.

Valve stems have been replaced. Not sure that test would work because they'll go for days and sometimes a week or two without any apparent leakage.

Same...

Car was my father's originally, he was in Michigan and he thinks its corrosion from salt. He's suggested inner tubes or maybe even putting some of that flat tire repair stuff in them to seal them up.

Reply to
DP

NEVER put an inner tube in a tubeless tire for safety reasons as friction between the two will cause over heating and blowout. My Michelin,Yokohama and BFG tires will lose about 1 pound of air per month. All four tires loose about the same amount of air in that time. In addition: tires will gain or loose about 1 psi for ever 10 degree change in temperature so they should always be checked cold with a good digital or other type gage. As recommended by tire manufactures I check my tires cold at least once a month or before any extended highway driving. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I've been wondering about that for a long time. I searched several major tire company websites and could not find a warning. Where did you find out about it?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The inner tube in a tubeless tire info is quite old, probly about the time radial tires got popular in the US. The radial tire with the more flexible sidewall was what was causing problems. The old bias ply tires did not seem to have as much of a problem. If your really realty interested you might contact any of the major tire manufactures. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

In my Subie, the cause was corrosion on the rim. New England salt on the roads, you know. The tire dealer turns down the rims a bit, replaces the tires and the leak is gone....until more corrosion. Took about 4 yrs for it to show up.

Al

Reply to
Al

What do you mean...turns down?

Reply to
DP

I would guess they mount the rim on a lathe and take a skim cut to remove the corrosion and form a smooth surface.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age." ---- J.W Muller

Reply to
George Adams