transaxle noise

93 Impreza with AT, 2 wheel drive, makes a whining noise at low speed acceleration similar to the sound when a car is in reverse but not as loud. I have had the vehicle since 101k miles. It now has 173k and the noise has always been there and is no worse now. I'm selling the car and I have people questioning the noise. Anyone care to speculate on possible causes?
Reply to
Pete