valve in the back of the transmission ???

We own a 1996 Subaru Outback. We have this alarm light come-on described below;

AT oil temp when I turn on the car and occasionally when I am making sharp turns. also when I am making sharp turns (pulling into a parking spot) my car feels like it is getting ready to stall out. sometimes when it is switching gears it feels like the gears are dropping. and sometimes when I put it into park it feels like the gears are dropping and it makes a harsh noise. I haven't called the shop yet---maybe will tomorrow or the next day.

Service shop says it is the valve in the back of the transmission sticking that controls the AWD? and it will be about $550 to repair...

Does this sound right?

thanks, Bill & Lissa

Reply to
Fathergoose

You need transfer clutches and tranfer clutch solenoid replacement, possibly the extension housing case if the transfer clutch drum seals have worn grooves in it...the seals get rock hard and allow pressure blow by, and on tight turns the transfer clutches don't slip enough and stay mostly locked up, hence the shuddering

Reply to
Trlather

Before looking at expensive repairs, try draining your AT fluid and replacing it, and also adding a bottle of Lubegard ATF Protectant - little red bottle.

I had a real bad case of torque bind about 20k ago, and it disappeared within 2miles of draining the fluid and adding the Lubegard.

if you are skeptical, log onto

and do a search for torque bind and Lubegard. Also check out
as well.

:)

Reply to
Huffer