vibration while turning

Hi, folks,

I've got a 98 Forester S with 143K KMs on it. I've been noticing that when turning in a tight radius under acceleration, like turning at a stop sign or turning into a driveway, I get the feeling that my tires are spinning and/or scrabbling for traction. The tighter the radius, the more I notice it. Tires are newish at 1 year old and have lots of tread left on them (President Winterforce tires). I don't notice this when driving at speed on the highway, or when coasting through tight turns. Even if I give myself a little shot of gas at a stopsign and then coast, the problem doesn't occur.

The car has always done this, and it doesn't really bother me, but I was curious if this has happened to anyone else. Is this just a side effect of AWD digging in for traction at slow speeds when turning in a tight radius?

I've put 40K KM on the car in the last year and everything has been great.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
jnugent

Most likely you have torque bind. If it is an automatic, the owner's manual will help you to locate the FWD only fuse under the hood, install a spare fuse in the FWD position (15A I think) and if the problem goes away, definitely torque bind.

search the term over at the message boards at

for additional info - oh, start saving your money.

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Another (cheap) thing to check;

Make absolutely sure the tires are properly inflated. Use a good dial-gauge not a garbage stick gauge.

Even a pound difference can cause different radius wheels and cause the problem.

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

Another possible cause is the failure of the 'Duty Cycle Solenoid' in the rear differential. If this goes out, the rear differential fails into the locked condition, causing one of the wheels to hop in tight turns (inside wheel is trying to turn slower than the outside wheel). Mostly hear about this with Legacy Outbacks.

Reply to
ujduche

That solenoid is in the CENTER diff. on automatics. Inserting the FWD fuse will help diagnose whether or not it or the clutch pack is bad and causingh the torque bind.

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@darkwater.org wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan