What do you guys think about this?

So here's the story.

'02 Silver WRX Wagon

21k miles Leather Upgraded factor speakers/alarm Extra set of 4 Blizzek Snow tires + Rims $15K Warranty has about a year left. Carfax clean original owner Mainly highway miles

The car was listed 2 months ago for $21K, and he was never able to sell it, so he brought it down to $17 because he has to leave the country (he came here for a medical rotation). I offered him $15K and he said he'd take it.

However, the car was involved in a front end collision and had to have significant body repair and had to have the block checked, and a few valves replaced. The car has been completely restored and this incident doesn't show up on carfax.

Do you think this would be a good deal? If later engine issues showed up afterwards couldn't I get the car fixed via the warranty?

Reply to
Dave

How old are the tires on it, and how do they look, especially fronts? How's it feel & sound driving, how's alignment? Those are the easy first questions.

I'd guess any engine problems that resulted from a collision would not be warranty, in dealer's eyes...unless there was a general recall applicable anyway.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

Doesn't that show what a total joke CarFax is when an accident that requires engine work does not show up?

Reply to
Greg

requires engine work does not show up?

It just shows that accident was not reported to insurance, they probably paid for everything in cash, and repair was made not by dealer.

Reply to
Guest

Walk away. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

You might have to deal with a situation where the dealer claims it was a bad repair the repair shop claims it was a factory defect.

My experience is that the long-term problems resulting from collision damage are evidenced more in issues related to chassis straightening and wheel alignment than anything mechanical. It's entirely likely that a car that's been in a collision will never have these problems. But it's also possible that you'll *never* be able to get the alignment quite right again, resulting in accelerated and uneven tire wear which is expensive and annoying (as the car shimmys and shakes down the road). I owned such a car. The used car dealer from which I purchased it had put brand-new tires on it, so none of these issues showed themselves until I'd put a couple thousand miles on the car. I will never again purchase a car that's been in a collision. And I've resolved that any car I own that gets *into* a collision will be sold immediately after repair.

But I'm probably overreacting. If you're comfortable owning a previously wrecked car, at least consider how many miles have passed since the repairs were completed. If the car has new tires on it and is known to have been wrecked, be very skeptical!

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Greg Reed

Doesn't the fact that the accident doesn't show up on carfax ring some bells? Don't you think they are trying to hide something?

The exact same thing happened to me with my 96 Legacy LSi. Dealer said it was in a minor front ender, didn't show up on any insurance/ownership records (Canadian was of doing it.). Later I found out from Subaru that the car had been written off and it must have been fixed by some Joe-Schmoe in his garage!

WALK AWAY, MOVE ON!

Chris

Reply to
Alpha Male