wheels and tires for 93 legacy

I am interested in putting some late model WRX wheels 6.5 x 16 and tires

205/50/16 on my 93 legacy sedan. I know that the bolt pattern and overall diameter is identical to the OEM wheels.

Does anyone know if I can fit larger tires like 215/55 or even 225/55 on the WRX wheels without hitting the wheel wells. I don't think I want to alter the stock suspension at this time unless it is the only way. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
MP

Lessee, the OEM tires are 195/60/15 aren't they? That is a diameter of around 24.5 inches, with an overall width of ~7 inches. The 205/55/16 RE92 supplied on the WRX is 25" X ~8" and should work just fine. The

215/55 will be just a bit larger, and will probably also fit w/o problems. The 225/55 will be an inch larger in both dimensions, and might have issues. Best bet will be to either borrow a WRX wheel/tire, or buy the set you're interested in, and mount both front and back. Feel around between the strut and tire, and between the fender/wheelwell and tire to see how much room you have (work steering lock to lock also). Then visit Tirerack and do some research; their tire specs are pretty complete. I'd say put on a 225/50 if there's room for the additional width. Handy calculator available here:

ByeBye! S

Thanks Steve for the reply!

The stock wheels are 185/70/14 and the WRX are 205/50/16 I was hoping to use the Bridestone Potenza RE 750 (rave reviews on Tire Racks site) in size 225/50/16 as this tire is made in this size. Seems like you agree. Thanks. I could also use the 205/55/16 or even the

205/55/16 for still more ground clearance if they would fit.

Tire Rack seems to be conservative and stick with the stock sizes.

Unfortunately I have no way of trying either as I don't have them yet. I would not mind getting slightly more ground clearance from a taller tire and was hoping that someone had already crossed this bridge.

S wrote:

Reply to
MP

Well, I don't know where you are, but a polite request here, and perhaps on i-club would probably find some kind soul near you who would be willing to let you borrow a wheel off of a rex long enuf to check things out. I'm in Palmer Lake CO; if you're anywhere nearby you're certainly welcome to stop in and demo a wheel. The RE92s are long gone, but I have a set of Kumho V700s on the stock 16 inch WRX alloys that are

225/50. We _had_ a '93 Legacy sedan in the back yard; I'd put one on for you and report back, but we just sold it the other day. It had 195/60/15s on Subaru alloy wheels, which I thought was the OEM sizing. Maybe a dealer upgrade? Anyway, good luck; report back when you determine if the 225/50 is a go/no-go.

ByeBye! S.