Why do my fog light keep coming on?

2006 Forrester

Hi All,

Not that I don't like my fog lights, but I only want them on when I ask.

Why do they keep coming on? I turn my light on, they are off. I drive a while, they are back on. I'd have to be a contortionist to turn them on with my knee, not the mention the pain.

Is there a way to only have them on when I ask?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

No idea where the fog light switch is on a 2006 Forester.

Are you saying that the switch, wherever it might be, is physically turned on and can be switched off to extinguish the fog lights? Or are you saying that the fog lights are on without the switch being physically flipped, rotated, pushed or whatever it normally does to turn the lights on? Totally different beasts of course. If the lights are on but the switch is not then there is a wiring fault which probably involves a relay. If then switch is physically being turned on then you either have a poltergeist of some sort of really weird switch fault being tripped by vibration or something.

Reply to
John McGaw

I don't have an '06 but on my '03 and '08 Foresters the switch is to the far left near the drivers knee.

I drive the '03 and always leave the fog lights on figuring the extra light is good at night.

I also noticed that my cruise control is just to the right of the fog light switch and often find cruise control on so it is my opinion that op is hitting it without knowing it as I do my cruise switch. Does not take much of a push to turn on these switches.

Reply to
Frank

Lower dash above your left knee

I find it on, I turn it back off

I never turned it on.

I am going to go with the poltergeist

:-)

-T

Reply to
Todd

Blinker and light switch is on the steering column about six inches away from the switch. I suppose ... But, you have to push in pretty good on the switch to turn it on.

Reply to
Todd

That's interesting. Wonder why they changed it back ~ '08 to where it was in '03. Maybe it presented more of a problem.

Reply to
Frank

I'm gonna go with subaru wants you to pay for fog light bulbs with some regularity. Their longevity on wet roads is close to that of a lettuce. I hardly ever have fogs on, but, then, idiotic fog light switch placement is not an issue on my car.

Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC

One of my pet peeves is people who keep their fog lights on all the time - and there are far too many of them that do. They must think it looks cool. I don't.

Reply to
PAS

I don't like mine on all the time as I don't want the expense of replacing them and they don't do any good except when there is fog (four or five times a year).

I can't figure out why the turkeys keep coming on! If I watch, they stay off. If I look away, they are on. If I didn't know any better, I'd think they were mocking me.

Reply to
Todd

Mocking you - LOL!

Reply to