Windows steam up in winter

Hi,

I've had 3 Subies, 1999 latest. In the winter after about 5 minutes of driving the windows start to get covered with condensation. The rear windows are the worst because I can use defroster on front window.

Does anyone know how to prevent this?

Thanks, Ajay

Reply to
AJay

Do you have the recirculat eswitch on? Stuck on? Are your fresh air intake vents along the outside wiper ridge covered by snow?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

AJay writes: (snip)

I had a bit of a problem with my STI in the winter. I blew outside air into it with the a/c and heater on, which helped a bit. I also used that rain-x interior glass treatment, which helped a lot.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

CAUTION

If you use Rain-X and have tinted windows chances are you will bubble up the tinting. Check with Rain-X although they won't redo the tinting for you if tgeir product screws it up. Any experiences anyone would like to tell us about ?

Reply to
AdvarP

Stop breathing, it causes condensation.

Reply to
Ragnar

The product referenced was probably Rain-X Anti-Fog. It shouldn't cause a problem with factory windows where the tint is in the glass. I will say that you have make sure it's really clean because it seems to make it worse if it's on and water condenses on dirty glass.

If it was really bad, I would just get a murky looking condensation on the Rain-X Anti-Fog treated window.

Reply to
y_p_w

Reply to
pheasant

I had that problem once in an other make, and it turned out to be a pinhole leak in a heater line. Finally was diagnosed by the smell of ethylene glycol in the car.

Reply to
FH

alternatively move the action into the bedroom

Reply to
isquat

There might be something wet inside that's warming up and raising the interior humidity while the windows stay cold. I would make sure the car's interior is bone dry by leaving it in a dry and heated garage with the windows wide open for an extended period (or out in the sun with the windows cracked if it's sunny and warm enough for the interior to greenhouse).

If you have wet stuff, put it in the truck or enclosed container, not the back seat. If you get in wet, then let the car warm up a little and run both the AC and heat to help dehumidify the interior and dry yourself out. If the humidity is lower outside the car than inside, don't run recirc.

Make sure the interior glass is really clean (less condensation nuclei). I use a small squeegee and clean the glass twice.

I had a friend who had a leaking heater core, but you should be able to spot that by the smell. Another old car had AC ducting with a low spot that would gather a puddle internally.

IMHO. YMMV.

Reply to
Ron N.