Windsheild Pitted - 03 OBW

Does anyone know if there's anything to get the pits out of a windshield? A special cleaner / paste / polish? I have an 03 OBW and in such a short time my windshield is pitted. I first noticed now that the sun sets on my ride home from work. It's terrible. Hard to see. I would think this is soon to have this happen? I travel highways to work - 15 miles and have 10K on the car in a year. Not a lot but some trucks. I've tried to clean them with everything to no avail. Thanks!!! Jim

Reply to
Jim

You talking about chips ? ? ? Nothing will do that. Do you have sap on the windshield? That is really hard to get off (sharp knife).

Reply to
Mike B.

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Mike B.) wrote in news:5Jqxb.22060$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Rather than a sharp knife, I'd recommend trying Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser

It is a very fine, mild abrasive that won't scratch glass. Takes sap off like a charm. I also used it to polish out a good bit of a scuff I picked up on one of the side windows of my '03 Forester (lawnmower + rock -- at least it didn't go through). I think my wife bought the can I use at either Walmart or the local hardware store. Be careful when you use it, though. The powder is so fine it gets EVERYWHERE if you spill it. I mix it into a paste with water in a small container before applying it. - Snuffy -

Reply to
Mike Bender

We get that a lot here in Denver, CO. During winter they put a lot of sand on the road which means your windshield (windscreen for you drive-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road types ;) gets nicely sandblasted after a couple of years and it's typical to get a serious chip or crack from an extra-large piece of sand (that's a "rock" to you my-car-comes-with-a-turbo-and-good-suspension-straight-from-the-factory-cause-i-live-outside-the-US readers) every few years. I couldn't find anything that would take care of it (polishing compounds etc) so I just got a replacement when it got bad enough. Not to start a sand-vs-salt-vs liquid de-icer argument but I'd rather live with the sand than the horrible rusting caused by salt like is typical in the northeastern part of the US.

Of course, the w> snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com (Mike B.) wrote in

snipped-for-privacy@stauf.org

Reply to
bstauf.spambgone

Reply to
null

Its amazing how clear a new windshield can be. Sometimes a rock thrown from a moving vehicle can be advantageous.

Reply to
mj